Need opinions please!

NetterNetter Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
edited October 2, 2009 in People
I think I am becoming obsessed. I had a dream last night about some of my black and white photos being muddy. Any way, I thought I would put out a few to have a little C&C on. I would love any suggestions! I am here to learn!

653303997_kEjzK-XL.jpg

651988882_S5pzo-XL.jpg

and to check if my black and white are muddy:
666975847_MPyzV-XL.jpg

Comments

• CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Number one is very cute. Number two is great also but for my own preference. She has very pretty hair that gets overlooked due to the crop and shallow depth of field.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Two great shots of children.

My observations: the first one is a little bluish on her skin tones on my monitor.

I love that angle for #2. I personally do not like subjects looking at my camera when I shoot as this seems to be such a nice catch of her looking natural and has such a genuine looking smile.

I am not a b&w conversion person, especially for as many as I see on this forum. I think this is my personal bias as when I did b&w, I made the skin tones much darker. Most of what I see (including yours) makes the skin tones very bright, which loses the beauty of the skin tone that is in your color version.

Excellent shots that parents should enjoy (yours?). Thanks for sharing.
  • NetterNetter Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Thanks so much for the c&c! The parents do love both of these. This was actually my first paid shoot. My next one is on Monday evening!mwink.gif

I was reading another forum I frequent last night and there was discussion about the cost of professional photographers. One poster (who was a pro) started talking about how nonpro photogs b&w work is often muddy. Thus the reason why I was just wondering.

I also really like the color photos as well. Often time, the photographs that grab me are the ones that jump off the page with color. However, I feel the need to become proficient in b&w as well.
  • NetterNetter Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Oh, and the only babies I have walk on four paws and have a slight speech impediment. :D Meet Lady and Oliver. iloveyou.gif638991570_8aH6z-XL-2.jpg
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    THose are great shots (including YOUR cute babies)! I agree with the b/w comment. I am new to PP but I think you could do a lot still to bring out some skin darkness and more contrast to your b/w pic. I like b/w's that are really extreme (white whites and black blacks). Mine end up looking too "grey" for my taste, but with some tinkering you can definately get that look you want! Great work on the kids shots...Adorable!!!!