Options

2nd Opinion WB/tint on special gallery - NYC bellydance - seeking feedback

MarcusPhotographicMarcusPhotographic Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited October 3, 2009 in Finishing School
Friends, I have spent way too many hours editing and adjusting about 300 shots from a bellydance event in NYC. There are 10 performances posted on my site in 1 gallery - this is just a temp for now to get things finalized. I have a Viewsonic VX2835 - a 24 inch. This is great for large viewing, but it's really not rated well for color accuracy. I haven't been able to get the color calibrated correctly (will buy a colorimeter soon). I could really use a bit of feedback from someone with a good screen for correct WB.

Different galleries have different WB values - i was experimenting. 1-100 are 2550-2600 - 150-300 are mostly 2625 or so. I am increasing magenta by +4 throughout. Native WB and auto WB are way yellow or just off. The shots were taken with a couple soft spot lights and that's it. 2500 or 3000 ISO on a D700. Most shots are pushed 1-3 EV's - hence some are going to show color flaws, some clipping is on purpose. Nikon also has a strong red shift it seems in the higher ISO. I don't know all the tricks yet for correcting.

So, can someone take a look at these from the overall perspective? Is there a performer that looks more/less correct from a skin tone perspective? i can see that some of the shots are blown and/or hot - i will be pulling back some of the adjustments that i did. Some is cool for the effect...but i'm really looking for a sense as to which WB is the right temp. Thanks a bunch if anyone replies..

www.marcussimpsonphotography.com - featured gallery - NYC Bellydance or below.

http://www.marcussimpsonphotography.com/<wbr>Culture-and-Events/Performances/Tribal-P<wbr>ura-BellyDance/9686467_8bYAU#667197087_G<wbr>bMWo

Comments

• Options
    TheSuedeTheSuede Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Hi... :)

As you say, the reds are severly clipped, more than necessary to get the "dramatic" low light effect I'd say.

Depending on what raw-conversion software you use, you will have to use another colour-profile for the D700 when going into the extreme ISO, at least in cases where you have very "deviating" light temperatures. I use a D700 myself, together with LR2.5 and various profiles.

Regarding your screen, try to get it profiled as soon as you can, that is crucial for this kind of work. Until you do, something like this gamma-checker that I created in MathCad may help you see if you're seriously off mark.
  • Options
    TheSuedeTheSuede Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    BTW, if you're not sure that your browser is profile-aware, download the picture and view in PS. It's a sRGB png file.