D200 power failure

taxmantaxman Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited October 11, 2009 in Cameras
I just experience a total power failure with my D200. At first the power would go off (i.e. no display in the lcd screen at all), then when I removed and reinserted the battery, everything would come back on. But when I activated the auto focus button, the power would go off again. This happened several times, now I get nothing. I've tried 3 charged batteries with no display in the lcd. Its going to the service shop tomorrow...

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 2, 2009
    I'm going to drop this over in Cameras. Better chance of getting some help.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 2, 2009
    taxman wrote:
    I just experience a total power failure with my D200. At first the power would go off (i.e. no display in the lcd screen at all), then when I removed and reinserted the battery, everything would come back on. But when I activated the auto focus button, the power would go off again. This happened several times, now I get nothing. I've tried 3 charged batteries with no display in the lcd. Its going to the service shop tomorrow...

Taxman, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Sorry to hear of your problems. Were you able to try a different lens?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • lightyearlightyear Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    d200 pOWER FAILURE
    I learned that Nikon recently issued a D200 firmware update for battery problems. I downloaded and installed it on my D200, although I had no problems. do not know if this will solve your problem, but if not suspect only Nikon Service ( not a local shop) can fix it.

stan
  • taxmantaxman Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 3, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Taxman, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Sorry to hear of your problems. Were you able to try a different lens?

Yes, I tried several lens, with no luck. It when to the fixit shop on Friday.
    edited October 3, 2009
    lightyear wrote:
    I learned that Nikon recently issued a D200 firmware update for battery problems. I downloaded and installed it on my D200, although I had no problems. do not know if this will solve your problem, but if not suspect only Nikon Service ( not a local shop) can fix it.

stan

I had installed the firmware updates the day prior to the issue.
  • Mad CatMad Cat Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    taxman wrote:
    If your battery is fully charged & you're experiencing this sort of thing, - first thing I would do would be to get a pencil eraser and clean off all your contacts with it. Over time the contacts on the battery and the camera itself actually get some sort of tarnish which interferes with the juice getting to the camera.

I was a retail camera store manager for a couple of years and this trick worked about 85% of the time. It's just like when the contacts on your car battery get ate up with corrosion - you try and start your car and all you get is click click click. Hopefully this message reaches you before you send it off for repair...... good luck w/mc
    edited October 11, 2009
    Mad Cat wrote:
    If your battery is fully charged & you're experiencing this sort of thing, - first thing I would do would be to get a pencil eraser and clean off all your contacts with it. Over time the contacts on the battery and the camera itself actually get some sort of tarnish which interferes with the juice getting to the camera.

I was a retail camera store manager for a couple of years and this trick worked about 85% of the time. It's just like when the contacts on your car battery get ate up with corrosion - you try and start your car and all you get is click click click. Hopefully this message reaches you before you send it off for repair...... good luck w/mc

Yes, I tried all the little tricks with no luck...except bad. It has been away to the repair shop for a week now, and I'm contemplating either purchasing a D300s or being institutionalized. My D70 just doesn't have enough buttons to suit my style now. You can read that as "ego" if you wish, but the D70 is so light it just doesn't seem the same, although I still great really good images with it.