Options

Resolution / Aspect Ratio

camillercamiller Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
edited October 2, 2009 in Finishing School
Hi,

New to this and not sure what I'm doing?

I've been trying to get a photo that's 3648x2736 to print either as an 8x8, 10x10, 12x12... with no luck. The border I added always gets cut off.

Tonight I changed the aspect ratio from just over 1.xxxx to 1 to 1.0000 to 1 and I was able to get it to size for all of the above print sizes. At least when I choose those sizes in the buy option it doesn't require any cropping.

It changed the photo properties to the following:

print size 10 x 10
resolution 300
pixel size 3000x3000
Bicubic
Sharp 60
aspect ratio 1.0000 to 1

Is this okay? Is this the proper way of getting a photo to print in the size I want?

Is re-sampling bad?

http://cynthiamiller.smugmug.com/Photography/EPhotos/9588931_RxLyD#667377111_Bjq5Z

Thanks,
Cindy

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    I try to keep all of my work in the 4x5 aspect ratio...4x5, 8x10,16x20 and so on.......
    so for working with a square print I would start with downsizing in PS.......... image ---images size and keep the constrain proportions box ticked.....in the dpi box put 300 or 400 or what ever will bring your physical size to as close to 8x10 as you can get......now crop your photo to 10x10.....8x8 or so on.............

I never re-sample in PS their algorithms suck....all re-sampling / up or down rezing is done in Genuine Fractals......that is the only way to go......
    As for the sq aspect ratios....since they are all way different, I would just take the time and do all of my cropping in PS and then up load to Sm.............

That should keep the crop tool out of the picture.....and mark it as don't allow cropping......I have always thought it a very bad idea to allow un-knowledgeable clients access to that tool......but then I like to have a signature on the prints I sell....whether it is one I created in PS with a tablet and pen or if it is actually written with archival acid free paint pen...................................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Hi Cindy,

I took a fast look at your site and found that you are allowing the original image size to be displayed without right click protection.

I would recommend yo limit the size to less than original and activate right click protection.

Also is there a reason you are selling your images at cost?

As to your reference to the perfect photo...............it don't exist.

Contrary to Art I haven't had any visible issues with small resizing adjustments in CS4. I also have Genuine Fractals 6.0 and have compared this with CS4. GF is better and I do use it with any large changes. I will use it even more now that I have a computer that moves faster than a turtle climbing Pikes Peak.

Typically I wouldn't recommend a border be added to a print. When placing a window mat over a border even a slight misalignment or imperfection in the mat or border will stand out like a sore thumb. Just a thought.

Sam
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I try to keep all of my work in the 4x5 aspect ratio...

Me too. mwink.gif

Seems to work out the best.:D
  • Options
    camillercamiller Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Thanks Art, Sam and Ric. Great information. Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I really appreciate it
    Cindy