Canon 100 f2.8L IS USM Macro

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited October 4, 2009 in Cameras
Didn't see any posts for new owners of this lens in here, so figured I'd start one. I just got my lens on Wednesday, took some test shots (http://photos.cathoffman.com/Other/Camera-Testing/100-28L-IS-USM-Macro/9811219_8J7Tb) and am loving it so far. I have a wedding coming up this Saturday that I'm looking forward to testing it out more extensively at.

Other people's impressions?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 2, 2009
    Since you already have the EF 135mm, f2L USM, I would think that would be more valuable for wedding work in general, but the IS feature of the 100mm macro you just purchased is intriguing and I do wonder how it will impact your closeup and macro photography, like the ring shots, centerpiece, etc.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    I see on your gear list that you also have the older 100mm f/2.8 macro (without IS). Any thoughts on how the new IS L version compares?
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Ziggy - the 135/L is useless for macro work, you have to be very far away to focus and take photos with it, so a macro is still essential. I only use the 135 for my spy shots at the receptions, my closer range lenses get used more (that being said though I *LOVE* my 135, it has some amazing bokeh and it ridiculously sharp)

Having just shot a wedding with the new L/IS macro today I have got to say that I am in love with it. It is impressively sharp, great color, and focuses faster... plus the IS means less attempts to nail my macro shots since hand holding is much less a problem, my only retakes were for when I had the focus off not from when I had trouble standing still.

I took a ton of pictures with it today, macro and non-macro, will post some once I get a chance to edit (may be a few days though since I'm heading off on a work trip Monday morning out of state...) but will be sure to show you all what it produced.

I'm very pleased. Anyone want to buy my old macro? :D