Promotional Photoshoot please comment

TNTATCTNTATC Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited October 3, 2009 in People
http://testonphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Gary-Fields-Music/9809113_9KiLU/1/666133086_uPQtV

My first Promotional Shoot. Please any critiques or comments would be appreciated. Gary Fields is a Jazz singer out of New York but from my local town. We was blown away by my work :D Thanks Yall

Comments

• KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    I like #49 the best. It looks the most comfortable for him, the composition is classic musician and works really well.

The color shots have a nice warm feeling to them that I like, but it looks like the BW conversions aren't quite right. Then again, I'm on a bad monitor...

You'll get more responses if you post a few of your best here in the thread, people don't like to look at galleries if there in for a quick browse...
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    I did a quick scan through them. I found most to be excellent or better. A job well done.

There are a couple that I wonder why they were included. Some were extremely soft/OOF and there was one that exhibited a very strong side shadow from an on-camera flash with the camera in vertical orientation.

If you want more detailed C&C, may I suggest you post a couple in the thread. Many folks will not click out to a gallery as most galleries have waaaayyyy too many photos to do a proper C&C.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Overall I think these are good - I particularly like the "Singin' in the rain" shots with the lamp-post. And I love the one on the steps (16) except.... you cut his foot off! It's darned near perfect for the "mood" otherwise.

I think he perhaps ought to be careful with the ones leaning on the piano (47-54) - while they're good shots, they don't say "jazz singer" to me, but look like a conventional and generic "pianist headshots" (I'm a professional musician, so I see a lot of these around :D) The ones in the crook are better for a singer than the ones where he's seated, IMO. Also, there's something behind the piano that isn't quite clear enough to make out - is it a light, or a music stand, or...? You might want to clone it out.

I'm sure he's very happy with these - he has some very nice shots to choose from that will serve him well for promo and program use. thumb.gif
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    I like them all on the third page, but I get what divamum said about them looking more pianist than Jazz singer. I'm sure he was very pleased with these!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    First things first, welcome to the forum! A very nice set of shots with a few that are a little soft. So far there are some very good comments and I agree with them all, especially Divamum's. If you want more comments it would be great if you could post at least one of your favorite shots to entice viewers to link to your gallery. My impression was that he was a pianist in some of the shots, but I lean towards the piano shots. I've never shot this type of set but my instinct tells me it would have been nice to have a hand mike in a couple of them as a prop, even if it were set upon the top of the piano. Not sure that would be the route to go, but it would tell more of a story. I like the mood and colors in the steps shot, it is unfortunate the foot was chopped. I would straigten #11 as it feels like everything is sliding to the right and not intentionally tilted. Overall I understand why he is pleased with these!
  • TNTATCTNTATC Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Great! thanks yall for the comments. It was my first post and I did it quick so that's why I just added the link to the site. He's pretty good on the piano that's the reason for so many shots of that, didnt move the darn chair in the background after a few shots haha.
    I appreciate yall taking a look and taking the time. It's very hard to critique myself so this is great.

I pulled out a lot of light on the piano pics with Photoshop. And the one with his head between the lights is was just really way to strong of light I tried to make something out of it. Probably would scrap it. Thanks again