Turnaround time when Canon fixes a camera?

jennieviijennievii Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited October 10, 2009 in Cameras
The customer service rep told me that I will have the camera back within 7-10 business days from when they receive it. I am going to have to reschedule some photo shoots because of this, but absolutely want it back by a certain date because I'd really prefer not to use my back-up camera. I'm just wondering what other people have experienced with Canon's turnaround time. By the way, I've been receiving Errors 80 and 30 (3 times between the two of them now). I'm able to turn the camera off and back on and it works, but wo knows how long that'll "fix" the problem! :dunno

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    jennievii wrote:
    The customer service rep told me that I will have the camera back within 7-10 business days from when they receive it. I am going to have to reschedule some photo shoots because of this, but absolutely want it back by a certain date because I'd really prefer not to use my back-up camera. I'm just wondering what other people have experienced with Canon's turnaround time. By the way, I've been receiving Errors 80 and 30 (3 times between the two of them now). I'm able to turn the camera off and back on and it works, but wo knows how long that'll "fix" the problem! ne_nau.gif
    It depends on your preferred status. Can be two weeks, can be two days.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • jennieviijennievii Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    It depends on your preferred status. Can be two weeks, can be two days.

How does one go about choosing/getting a preferred status?
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    jennievii wrote:
    How does one go about choosing/getting a preferred status?

Join CPS. Requires full time photography, two pro bodies, and three pro lenses.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    i am cps platinum, it's $500 a year, but i get overnight shipping to and from canon paid by them.

I can send in a lens or body on a monday and usually have it back that thursday.

Also tons of perks for platinum including lots of 2 week rentals!
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    As I posted in the other thread, I live in WV and I mailed out my 5D MKII to the service center in New Jersey. Both times I've had it back within the 10 days quoted. The first time there was an attempted delivery on Friday and I mailed it out that Monday.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • jforbesjforbes Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I've only ever had one issue, with my old 300D (shutter was partially messed up). I sent that in along with a 70-200/4 for calibration, and they got it back to me in ~1 week not including shipping time (IIRC they used 2 day to ship it back, and didn't charge me anything even though the body was out of warranty, the lens was in warranty).

I've heard a couple random horror stories, but my story seemed pretty normal for an average issue.
    -Jeff
  • CrossbarphotoCrossbarphoto Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Broken LCD on 40D repaired in 7 days.

New shutter in 1D replaced in 3 days.

Both interactions went very smoothly for me. thumb.gif
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    holzphoto wrote:
    i am cps platinum, it's $500 a year, but i get overnight shipping to and from canon paid by them.

I can send in a lens or body on a monday and usually have it back that thursday.

Also tons of perks for platinum including lots of 2 week rentals!

I didn't know CPS included free trial rentals. Quite a deal, I'm signing up for Gold in the morning!
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    I've had nothing but good experiences with them. The service center in California has fixed a lens, my 580 EX II after a fall and cleaned by 40D. The longest time it took was my 40D, two weeks.