Options

Mad As Hell Doctors

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited October 4, 2009 in Street and Documentary
As the health care reform debate continues to heat up here in the states a large and growing group of doctors, medical students and other health care providers are organizing to voice their concerns and demand a strong public option plan if not outright single payer coverage for everyone.

They have been working their way around the country culminating in a rally in DC. I caught up with them in LA Wednesday evening.

Here are a couple of captures and more can be seen here: http://angelo.smugmug.com/Street-Scenes/Mad-As-Hell-Doctors/9823757_CAAiA#667487523_yDDrj

C&C always welcome and thanks for looking.

667487336_NGWS5-L.jpg

667487790_j5gSY-L.jpg

667489110_Pri3v-L.jpg

667485534_h8mMp-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    As the health care reform debate continues to heat up here in the states a large and growing group of doctors, medical students and other health care providers are organizing to voice their concerns and demand a strong public option plan if not outright single payer coverage for everyone.

They have been working their way around the country culminating in a rally in DC. I caught up with them in LA Wednesday evening.

Here are a couple of captures and more can be seen here: http://angelo.smugmug.com/Street-Scenes/Mad-As-Hell-Doctors/9823757_CAAiA#667487523_yDDrj

C&C always welcome and thanks for looking.

Nice job, Angelo clap.gif I like the initial scene-setter, followed by the closer shots. (And you have to love the Jesus/Leper sign rolleyes1.gif )
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Nice job, Angelo clap.gif I like the initial scene-setter, followed by the closer shots. (And you have to love the Jesus/Leper sign rolleyes1.gif )

Thanks BD. Your approval is a badge of honor

I made the "Jesus" signs, 6 in all - they were a BIG hit among the crowd. The lead doctor asked for them to take along on the road - I couldn't refuse. :D
  • Options
    WinemanWineman Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Great captures, funny Money from pink floyd was playing on the radio as I opened this thread! goes well with it!

They should find a way to play music with every thread you open, that would be cool!!

Anyways, its a great series!! thanks for sharing!

Z.
    I do not suffer insanity... I enjoy it!!!
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    I made the "Jesus" signs, 6 in all - they were a BIG hit among the crowd. The lead doctor asked for them to take along on the road - I couldn't refuse. :D

Nice series.

Is it still photojournalism if the photographer makes signs and hands them to people to have the picture taken?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 2, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Is it still photojournalism if the photographer makes signs and hands them to people to have the picture taken?ne_nau.gif

Seems to work for Fox News. lol3.gif

Nice work, Angelo. The only quibble I have is that the series does not give a sense of how many people were on the scene.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2009
    Wineman wrote:
    Great captures, funny Money from pink floyd was playing on the radio as I opened this thread! goes well with it!

They should find a way to play music with every thread you open, that would be cool!!

Anyways, its a great series!! thanks for sharing!

Z.

Thanks :D I'll have to check out Funny Money on iTunes rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Nice series.

Is it still photojournalism if the photographer makes signs and hands them to people to have the picture taken?
    Richard wrote:
    Seems to work for Fox News.

rolleyes1.gif

Richard wrote:
    Nice work, Angelo. The only quibble I have is that the series does not give a sense of how many people were on the scene.

I'll check the unprocessed images for those. Last time I did this I concentrated on the greater crowd with little success and this time I had BD's exercise rattling around in my head aboout getting CLOSE.

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Nice PJ work, Angelino! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2009
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

I'll check the unprocessed images for those. Last time I did this I concentrated on the greater crowd with little success and this time I had BD's exercise rattling around in my head aboout getting CLOSE.

The question about whether it's journalism if the photographer is handing out signs is an important one. The answer is an unequivicle NO At that point the photographer is an unvarnished advocate - either doing propaganda work, or public relations work - call it what you will. It's one thing to be sympathetic to those you're photographing; it's another thing to be 'working' for them.

As I tell my writing and photography students, “The conceit that news writing is ever objective is just that. The best news writing can only, at best, convey subjective truth.” And the same thing applies to photo journalism or documentary work. The reason for this is simple: we bring to every assignment every life experience, bit of education, and prejudice we have compiled prior to the moment we arrive on the scene of the assignment. All of our life experience shapes us and the way we view things. So the best we can hope for, the best we can strive for, is to be fully aware of who we are and what our prejudices and beliefs are, and then do our best to make sure that we don't allow those prejudices and believes to keep us from conveying the 'truth' that lies before us.

However - this is still a good group of images. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed