Classic racing cars at Prescott

MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
edited October 4, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Not sure where these should be posted... but I had a fun couple hours at the Prescott Hill Climb Club when they had their end of season Rally. A great bunch of classic race cars, many of which get used in anger. All the shots our straight out of the camera, no PP or cropping. All feedback is appreciated :thumb

Some Porsches - how often will you see this kind of line up?

661930290_LefSU-XL.jpg

661924845_rYGrE-XL.jpg

661927284_XDkL6-XL.jpg

661922208_Swgtx-XL.jpg

661725178_mdZuY-XL.jpg

Comments

• MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Some classic British hardware
    661757047_bDkZe-XL.jpg

661731262_YizKc-XL.jpg

This is the dash of this car - check out the watch mounted on the dash:

661736768_tyrEH-XL.jpg

661746156_hZbAJ-XL.jpg

This was tucked away, not even 'on show'

661842953_zR6GT-XL.jpg
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Hey Mav,

Those are some nice wheels, the 97 car is my favorite. Looks like a good time!

My only suggestion would be to try to pay more attention to the backgrounds. I know that I personally never end up paying any attention to what is behind my subjects until I look at the shots later...

It's always hard in a place like this where there are all sorts of undesirable things behind the subjects, no matter which way you turn. Detail shots, like your one of the dash, are one good way to overcome this. Another would be to try to find different angles, looking up, or down, or just close up to your subject, trying to fill as much of the frame as you can and at least block out the more noticeable parts of the background.
  • 52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    I love the dash shot, great depth of field (or lack of) with the watch being the focus.
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    52Caddy wrote:
    I love the dash shot, great depth of field (or lack of) with the watch being the focus.

Thanks thumb.gif
    rustic wrote:
    Hey Mav,

Those are some nice wheels, the 97 car is my favorite. Looks like a good time!

My only suggestion would be to try to pay more attention to the backgrounds. I know that I personally never end up paying any attention to what is behind my subjects until I look at the shots later...

It's always hard in a place like this where there are all sorts of undesirable things behind the subjects, no matter which way you turn. Detail shots, like your one of the dash, are one good way to overcome this. Another would be to try to find different angles, looking up, or down, or just close up to your subject, trying to fill as much of the frame as you can and at least block out the more noticeable parts of the background.

You're absolutely right - the background has definitely limited the appeal of many of the shots. Looking back on the Porsche shots, it's a real distraction.

Here are a couple more where I think they are a little better composed:

661941652_reDxD-L.jpg

This one could be cropped even tighter...

661767236_YtYRa-L.jpg

Here's one where I tried to utilise the background, while keeping it blurred with a large aperture:

661830954_D93gC-L.jpg

Here's another of 97 for you

661780123_oNNqt-L.jpg

Thanks for your feedback thumb.gif