Recommendations:WA for Canon 5D MKII

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited October 8, 2009 in Cameras
I just purchased yesterday as well and am wondering what WA you guys would recommend? I currently have:

24-70 f/2.8

50 1.4

300 f/4

70-200 f/4

and EF-S 10-22 for my 50D.

I was thinking I would get the 17-40 f/4:dunno

Thanks

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    I responded to your question in the other thread, but here ya' go.

Dan,

If you don't need f/2.8, then get the 17-40 f/4. I use this lens a lot (5D & 5DMkII). It is sharp and has very nice color. I LOVE a WA no a FF. It is a great lens, and you can't fuss about the price either.
    Randy
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 2, 2009
    I figure this question deserves its own thread.

I use the EF 17-40mm, f4L USM on my 5d MKII and I am very pleased with the results. Unless you need the f2.8 of the EF 16-35mm, f2.8L USM, the 17-40mm is wonderful and a good match.

The current best combination is the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S on a V2 Nikon G Adaptor with focus confirmation chip. While becoming a manual focus and preset aperture, the results are the current best in the Canon business, unless you mound the same lens on a Nikon D3X camera. (Then it's the best in the Nikon business "and" you have AF and auto-aperture.)

For a true "ultra-wide" zoom, you could go with the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG IF HSM Aspherical. While not the optical quality of the preceding lenses, it is the current leader for instantaneous, single-image capture, vista landscapes. If you get this lens, make sure you purchase from someone with return privileges as sample variations are all over the place, and the 5D MKII shows every flaw.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    I responded to your question in the other thread, but here ya' go.

Dan,

If you don't need f/2.8, then get the 17-40 f/4. I use this lens a lot (5D & 5DMkII). It is sharp and has very nice color. I LOVE a WA no a FF. It is a great lens, and you can't fuss about the price either.

Thanks a bunch Randy thumb.gif
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    I agree with all that's been said so far here. I have the 17-40 f/4 L and I have no complaints.

Here is a shot I took yesterday morning with this lens on a 5D2:

667968011_xfM3s-L-1.jpg

The rest of the gallery is here: http://craigd.smugmug.com/Other/20091001-Foster-City-Shoreline/9828677_U8n26
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Gorgeous shot Craigclap.gifclap.gif Thanks
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    What are you shooting?

Marc is about to publish a blog post about the 17mm tilt/shift. I want that lens. But at $2500, it'll be a little bit before that happens!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    17-40L is my favorite lens. It is my standard walk around lens on crop body and i love to shoot with it.

Check the link for 17-40L on different camera bodies.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    I had the 17-40 for a while before I moved up to the 16-35 II. Seeing as I shoot weddings and all...

Its on my 5DII 50% of the time, but I like to shoot wide.