help w/ my most important family shoot yet

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited October 2, 2009 in Technique
Ok, this is important for a number of reasons, they are strangers, lol, referred to me by a business pal/client, it is a large family, I get nervous and usually forget 2 out of 10 things I should know and remember to do, till a hour later! AND I am charging them, I have been stepping up my prices as my skills improve, and I want them to feel they got more than their $$ worth.My biggest paywise shoot with strangers. I want to be ready, and totally confident.

I am to shoot 8 single portraits, one of each child, one group shot of all 8 and then the entire family of 10.
So I scouted out the location, checked out the light at 4 PM when we are to begin( we live in AZ, intense sun), made my hubby pose.
Here are some of the spots and a few questions.

I'd also like input on my lenses, which ones, what f/stop, for the large groups.

I just yesterday figured out off camera flash!! I will have my hubby to help, maybe hold flash, hold stuff.

Nikon d 700
sb 800
tripod
reflector/diffuser
light stands( I have not used to hold a light)
85mm 1/4
18 - 200
50 1/4
sigma 10-20
kit lens 18-70
stepladder
Hubby!

Don't think I would need/use this but..
5x7 lastolite white/black pop up background
( hmm maybe a shade maker???}

These are all SOOC no flash..

1. BEST LIGHT! I think this is best spot for family of 10 shot Light reflects from the water from back/left of camera.
667840676_Hbtoz-M.jpg

2. I know dappeled sunlight UGH, but maybe with hubby diffusing sun..maybe for all 8 kids? cute stair step pose??
667840940_JDh6f-M.jpg

3 for older kids/boys
turn down exposure fill flash on subject, will that stop background from burn out?

667841456_epich-M.jpg

4, LOVE this spot, am thinking same as last spot, less fill for sure. thoughts?
I'll have someone hold down the plant in foreground if needed.

667841671_uyXof-M.jpg

5 I want to use this, it is a walk out fake pier on the manmade lake, but there is not much shade except from lamp poles
667841789_xz92X-M.jpg

Thanks in advance to all that may offer advice. the shoot is today, post for the next 4 hours!!
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Hi there.

1. Bring and use your best lens. The lens that makes the cleanest and deadly accurate photos.
    2. Bring your Hubby to hold Stuff: He'll be irreplaceable!
    3. Right off the bat, I do not like your chosen spots for the shots. The reasons are many:
    a. but most due to cluttered BG's.
    b. The porch for a group at that great angle will leave you in and out of focus across the line of folks, unless you get far away with a 85mm at f9, or you group them very tightly (within 5 ft. at a camera distance of fifteen ft.). Can be done, just not too easy. And easy counts!
    c. It will be difficult to control the things that are growing out of peoples head in the shots you capture.

Shooting large groups can be tough. Scouting like you did is essential.

Those are my thoughts. Good luck!
    tom wise
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Ouch I picked the spots with the sunlight and shade in mind. I will leave early and scout some more.headscratch.gif

Thanks!!I'l l post my best ones.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Ouch I picked the spots with the sunlight and shade in mind. I will leave early and scout some more.headscratch.gif

Thanks!!I'l l post my best ones.

Ouch! I know...feel your pn!

Do that, show us what ya got!
    tom wise