Mithra, Queen of the Damned

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited October 3, 2009 in People
667662845_c4mdc-XL.jpg

Actually, she's Boston Ballet's Kathleen Breen Combes in the opening performance of Giselle at The Opera House last night. And she's actually Mithra, Queen of the Willis. The Willis are the spirits of women who died engaged but unmarried. They dance in the moonlight and they hate men. In fact, they force any man unfortunate enough to encounter them to dance to his death. Mithra is a fierce and fearsome supernatural being, and Kathleen Breen Combes owns this role.
If not now, when?

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    rutt wrote:

Under any circumstances this would be a spectacular ballet shot, but knowing what Rutt was dealing with - virtually NO LIGHT - makes this doubly amazing!!bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    How can one not open a thread titled "Mithra, Queen of the Damned"?rolleyes1.gif

This is a beautiful shot, Rutt! What did you have to set your ISO to?

clap.gifclapbowdown.gif
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    If not now, when?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Considering the exif data:
    Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Exposure Time 0.0012s (1/800)
    Aperture f/1.2
    ISO 3200
    one can only wonder why so much noise at ISO3200 and why then maybe not lower the ISO at the expense of shutter speed. ISO1600 at 1/400s should still freeze the momement yet almost eliminate the noise... headscratch.gif John, what say you?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 2, 2009
    1/800th is the gold standard for clear ballet shots. This particular move might be OK at 1/400th but there are shots I wanted where that's not true. I had better luck this time than 4 years ago, the last time BB did Giselle.

I didn't do much in post to try to minimize the noise this time around. I'm exploring the proposition that it's not really that bad a thing if the image is strong enough. I have lots of stunning pictures of Kathleen, but right now this is my favorite. Her flawless technique is combined with powerful acting and I love the light and setting. It's possible to think that Giselle is pretty corny. Hell, it is corny, but then so is Anna Karenina. Just because it's corny doesn't mean it isn't profound.
    If not now, when?
    edited October 2, 2009
    668058808_AdyZb-XL.jpg

Paid more attention to noise this time. It also shows why 1/800 is desirable.
    If not now, when?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Paid more attention to noise this time. It also shows why 1/800 is desirable.
    I see. Thank you! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Amazing!!

Do you do photos for them? I thought they generally don't allow any photography during performances, even non-flash.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    I totally agree with you in regard to noise. I'd rather have a strong noisy shot than a crystal clear shot of a bad Mithra move. Nice Rutt.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Nice eye......and don't ya just love the 5DMKII.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Rutt, that is a wonderful dance shot - bravo!! bowdown.gifbowthumb.gif

(If this was an actual performance, do you shoot from the booth? Do you use a muffler/sleeve of any kind? Just curious. My access -when I have any - is usually dress rehearsals where the noise is less of an issue, but just wondering.... :D)
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Two absolutely beautiful shots, Rutt! thumb.gifthumb.gif

I'm reminded of a quote: "Dance is the only art where we, ourselves, are the art."
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited October 3, 2009
    I shoot at the dress rehearsals. The restrictions of shooting an actual performance are just too onerous.

I have a contract with Boston Ballet. Don't be jealous. The terms are that I'm not allowed to make any money and if I do, I have to donate it to the company.
    If not now, when?
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Great picture! thumb.gif
    rutt wrote:
    snip…
    I'm not allowed to make any money and if I do, I have to donate it to the company.

Wow, that's one helluva contract! headscratch.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited October 3, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Wow, that's one helluva contract! headscratch.gif

- Wil

It just puts me in the same situation as everyone else involved in the ballet. The dancers starve and have very short careers. The artistic staff have longer careers but aren't getting rich either. One is just privileged to be there at all.
    If not now, when?
    edited October 3, 2009
    Just for fun, I reprocessed the shot, fighting the noise at each step of the process.

668519633_2ofHF-XL.jpg

Don't know if I like this better. What do you all think?
    If not now, when?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Stunning! Love the re-processed version. thumb.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Just for fun, I reprocessed the shot, fighting the noise at each step of the process.

668519633_2ofHF-XL.jpg

Don't know if I like this better. What do you all think?

I'll take the original, thanks! rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Amazing...Absolutely amazing! Superb job!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    The original - the noise processed one has her skin looking way toooooo plastic.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    It just puts me in the same situation as everyone else involved in the ballet. The dancers starve and have very short careers. The artistic staff have longer careers but aren't getting rich either. One is just privileged to be there at all.

Rutt, you're a very decent man to do those shots on that basis. Please accept my gratitude as a fellow performer for being willing to support the performing arts by offering your time, service and respect to people who are too often taken for granted. thumb.gifiloveyou.gif

{total tangent}
    Just for kicks I looked up the BB contract at the AGMA site, which was an interesting read. In particular, I always find the "shoes" paragraphs in dancer-contracts fascinating. AGMA (American Guild of Musical Artists, the union which governs opera and dance onstage) isn't as strong as its sister unions Equity (straight and music theater), AFM (orchestras) and IATSE (stagehands), but I'm very happy to see they've incorporated strong and specific language regarding footwear in dancer contracts, helping protect the dancers from the crippling cost of shoes. (For those that don't realise it, a ballerina can go through DOZENS of pairs expensive pointe shoes a year - often wearing a pair out in a single performance - which can add up to thousands of dollars.)
    {/total tangent}

Rutt, I prefer the original too - it has more life, somehow, and the noise actually enhances the fog machine drift across the bottom.
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    impressive... I do prefer the processed version. NICE WORK!! wow!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Rutt, you're a very decent man to do those shots on that basis. Please accept my gratitude as a fellow performer for being willing to support the performing arts by offering your time, service and respect to people who are too often taken for granted. thumb.gifiloveyou.gif

{total tangent}
    Just for kicks I looked up the BB contract at the AGMA site, which was an interesting read. In particular, I always find the "shoes" paragraphs in dancer-contracts fascinating. AGMA (American Guild of Musical Artists, the union which governs opera and dance onstage) isn't as strong as its sister unions Equity (straight and music theater), AFM (orchestras) and IATSE (stagehands), but I'm very happy to see they've incorporated strong and specific language regarding footwear in dancer contracts, helping protect the dancers from the crippling cost of shoes. (For those that don't realise it, a ballerina can go through DOZENS of pairs expensive pointe shoes a year - often wearing a pair out in a single performance - which can add up to thousands of dollars.)
    {/total tangent}

Rutt, I prefer the original too - it has more life, somehow, and the noise actually enhances the fog machine drift across the bottom.

Fascinating. I had no idea.

Certainly puts a different spin on All That Jazz.

Rancho