file size too big

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited October 4, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Trying to upload some images shot with a 5DMKII. Most of them upload fine but a bunch of them are 29 MB and the size limit is 24 MB.

So do I need to resize these to a smaller size to upload?

And if the answer is yes, why? A SM pro account really can't handle some 5DMKII files? :scratch

The weird thing is that 99-percent of the 5DMKII files I've uploaded in the past have uploaded just fine. But there's about 25 in this batch that are too big (29 MB).

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Are these straight out of the camera or processed in something and then saved to JPEG? If they are processed and then saved to JPEG, just save them at Photoshop quality level 10 or Lightroom quality level 85% and they should be OK to upload. Those quality levels are more than enough for any web display or print size.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    They're raw files converted to 8-bit, sRGB jpegs. No sizing changes.

I created an action to resize them to SM specs but I'm still surprised that a SM pro account can't handle some full-res 5DMKII files. It's obviously a very popular camera among pros.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    dogwood wrote:
    They're raw files converted to 8-bit, sRGB jpegs. No sizing changes.

I created an action to resize them to SM specs but I'm still surprised that a SM pro account can't handle some full-res 5DMKII files. It's obviously a very popular camera among pros.
    If they started out as RAW files, then you chose somewhere what JPEG compression to use when producing the sRGB jpegs from the RAW files. I'm suggesting that you can make a smarter choice for that compression level that will give you just as good a quality on Smugmug, but not run into the size issue. It is unwise and unneccessary to use the least compression possible for JPEGs and that is usually what causes the size to balloon. If you share some info about what tools and what settings you're using when converting your RAW files to JPEGs, we can offer further guidance on specific changes that might be useful to you. Since you say, you created an "action", I'm guessing you're using Photoshop. If that's the case, then you should make sure the JPEG compression level when you save the JPEG is set to level 10, not to level 12. Your problem will go away if you make that change. That's all you would have to change.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question