My first post - A Still learning newbie

NevadaNevada Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited October 5, 2009 in Holy Macro
Hi all,

first time post. I am trying to learn how to use my Canon XSi and thought i would post some samples to see what kind of opinions and suggestions i can get. thx!

spider2.jpg

Comments

• PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Nevada wrote:
    Hi all,

first time post. I am trying to learn how to use my Canon XSi and thought i would post some samples to see what kind of opinions and suggestions i can get. thx!

Good morning and welcomethumb.gif .

I too am learning and find this forum very useful. There are many people on here that have a lot of expertise and experience. Just going through the posts has given me ideas to try and add to that the constructive critique they give to my offerings has encouraged me greatly.

Your first image posted here is very good. Is his straight from the camera or have you applied post processing? I always shoot RAW and so have to apply a little effort following a shoot.

What would be useful would be a description of the equipment you are using and the software used (if any) to finish the images following shooting. I note that your camera has received great reviews.

Look forward to hearing (and seeing) more from you.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Hi - welcome to the forum.

Good capture - slightly noisy but very good for ISO1600- exposure and focus both good. Not sure what lens you were using but comes up as 190mm ? on the Kuso EXIF viewer.
    Brian V.
  • NevadaNevada Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    another shot
    here is another shot, i took in darkness on a tripod and lit with the cameras flash. the lens is a sigma 28 to 200mm and i was at 200mm. both were adjusted for color a little bit with the canon software.

spideratnight1_reduced-1.jpg
  • PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Thats nice too Nevada. I used to use a telephoto lens for macro work too. The problem with these is that you cannot get really close because of the minimum focus range. There is an inexpensive Achromatic screw on lens by Sigma which may be worth looking at. The 58mm dia example I have (but no longer use) cost approx $15 on ebay. The achromatic lens brings the range of different light wavelengths closer to a common focus point on the image sensor which results in much improved images but with a narrower dof than th lens you are using. It is worth a look. I used mine in combination with a telephoto lens to decide on the best macro lens to purchase. In my case the 150mm EX DG Macro. If you want to see some examples using the screw on lens and telephoto lens, ask and I shall post them here (it is your thread and you should have control).
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited October 5, 2009
    good shots! actually prefer 2nd frame, better focus :D . 1st frame colour looks cold . long glass does give great backgrounds but are not as sharp as a prime lens.
    phil