Options

Yeah, let's play some DS

baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
edited October 6, 2009 in Street and Documentary
One more for kicks. This one actually came out of a phone camera. I actually find I take a lot of camera phone pictures and some of them are my best shots. I just wish the quality was better.

668216667_c4ueD-XL.jpg
geoff

Comments

• Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Haha, I will not be abusive, but I will be critical:D

I think you need to start carrying your camera around moreclap.gif

Because if you had had your camera, you might have been able to focus in on his hands and DS.....IMHO that isthumb.gif
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Cell phone cameras have lots of limitations and I don't get many good shots with mine. But this particular image has bigger problems than the limitations of the camera. I converted to B&W, used a curve to get better pop, and applied wide radiance USM to get this:

668474216_myHhM-O.jpg

Now it's more obvious that the reflection in the background is so distracting that we lose the point of the shot. Maybe there was a more interesting angle? Maybe you had to wait for a better moment?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 3, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Maybe there was a more interesting angle? Maybe you had to wait for a better moment?
    15524779-Ti.gif The main thing that bothers me about this shot is not being able to see a face at all. She (if it is a she, ne_nau.gif) might as well be wearing a burka. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    I like your original as is.thumb.gif Really cool for a phone shot. Cute knees got ruined in Rutt's b&wrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I like your original as is.thumb.gif Really cool for a phone shot. Cute knees got ruined in Rutt's b&wrolleyes1.gif
    I like both versions, but based on their comments, I think both Richard and Mr. Quite are losing various parts of their minds - Mr. Quite? If the hands and game were any sharper they'd cut your eyeballs. rolleyes1.gif And Richard? No, we can't see a face, but we don't need to - we know something is happening here, and we do know what it is.rolleyes1.gif

Nice shot - Let's hear it for cell phone cameras - the Brownies of our present decade. :ivar

P.S. It's a dank, rainy day in Boston and I'm just trying to amuse myself - no harm intended.wings.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 3, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    I And Richard? No, we can't see a face, but we don't need to - we know something is happening here, and we do know what it is.rolleyes1.gif

Nice shot - Let's hear it for cell phone cameras - the Brownies of our present decade. :ivar

I second the point about cell phone cameras. If HCB were alive today he might well be using one. But somehow I doubt that he would have had a dark, undifferentiated mass in the middle of the frame. Yes, we do know what's happening and from the game, the torn knees and shoes we have a pretty good idea of who we're seeing, but I still would like to see a hint of facial features to attach to my mental stereotype. Color me cranky today. :D
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    I like the BW version most, may be by revealing some details on hairs in PP to avoid black spot will help.headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2009
    No no no no NO! I do not mean SHARPER! Sorry, I should have used the word ZOOM in, instead of focus in.....

Do I still have part of my mind lost B.D? If so I would like it very much if someone would find it foe merolleyes1.gif In a few minutes I have to eat lunch with people that I do not even know.... So what does that make my mood?wings.gif

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2009
    You guys are getting too caught up in the technical aspects of the pictures.

This summer I went to the San Francisco MOMA where they were having exhibits of both Robert Frank and Ansel Adams. Ansel Adams images are frighteningly good from a technical standpoint. Looking at them you feel like you can reach in and feel the texture of the landscape. Everything is scary sharp.

Robert Frank's images are not. In fact a good number of them are not well focused and the grain is noticeably bad.

To be honest, I liked Robert Frank's images better. They evoked more emotion in me and got me thinking about the time and place they were taken. They had me considering what was life like then?
    geoff
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2009
    Oh, a comment on the black and white conversion. I am an Aperture user. At one point I downloaded a trial of the Silver Effects Pro plugin for Aperture. I LOVED it. But $199 is WAY more than I can justify for the plugin. I've tried other ways of doing B&W conversion and not been as pleased as I was with Silver Effects Pro so I just don't do it any more.
    geoff
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2009

This summer I went to the San Francisco MOMA where they were having exhibits of both Robert Frank and Ansel Adams. Ansel Adams images are frighteningly good from a technical standpoint. Looking at them you feel like you can reach in and feel the texture of the landscape. Everything is scary sharp.

Robert Frank's images are not. In fact a good number of them are not well focused and the grain is noticeably bad.

To be honest, I liked Robert Frank's images better. They evoked more emotion in me and got me thinking about the time and place they were taken. They had me considering what was life like then?

We already said the rest of the picture was good:D

I think as photographers and pros( I am not one of them), we ALL try to get a technically and emotionally great picture, is that not true?

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009

Frank's work is far, far more challenging, both visually and emotionally, than Adams's. Adams produced posters; Frank produced art.

:hide rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed