Options

Alfie

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited May 31, 2004 in People
I've been working on a some shots of my grandson for my daughter, here's my final 2

???

4616946-M.jpg

4616945-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2004
    What's it all about Alfie?
    I really like the first one the best! I like the soft lighting in both photos as you have virtually no shadows, but enough on the face to give it depth/contour.

The only change I would suggest is to the second photo. I would get rid of or reduce the catch lights (is this from a window?) in the eyes and the reflection(?) on the lower lip. Other than that, I think they will look great matted and framed.

Regards,
    Brad
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2004
    Thanks for the comments Brad, I'll try reducing the catch lights and see what happens.
    I took these in the bath (him not me) with just the light from the window. Forgive my ignorance, this is all new to me, but when you say "matted", do you mean printed on Matt or someting completeley different?
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Thanks for the comments Brad, I'll try reducing the catch lights and see what happens.
    I took these in the bath (him not me) with just the light from the window. Forgive my ignorance, this is all new to me, but when you say "matted", do you mean printed on Matt or someting completeley different?
    In this case, I simply meant the matt used in picture framing. I can imagine these photos with a nice white carboard matt with a black bevelled edge in a black frame!(I like black!) I go picture frame shopping quite often and I'll buy a frame with no particular picture to put in it and then just wait for the right picture to come along ...

I am taking a framing class in a couple of weeks because I've always wanted to do the framing myself! As far as the actual printing, I have always liked matt vs. glossy, but that's just me.

I think these photos could also be framed together in a single frame and look fantastic. You've done so much work on the photos, so now it's time to show them off!

Regards,
    Brad
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2004
    Thanks Brad,

Printed them off tonight, and I'm pleased with the results. I've done them as 7" squares. I think you're spot on with "nice white carboard matt with a black bevelled edge in a black frame"

Thanks again
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited May 30, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I've been working on a some shots of my grandson for my daughter, here's my final 2

???

4616946-M.jpg

4616945-M.jpg
    These are real cute pictures. If these are to be a gift that is to be displayed, I would suggest that you try to remove the tile lines in the first image I find them distracting - either by extracting the babys face and moving it to a new canvas, or perhaps by cloning it out. Depends on what imaging software you use.

Something like this perhaps....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2004
    Thanks Pathfinder
    I can't make my mind up about the tile lines, I did originally take them out and then ended up putting them back, I thought they helped make sense of the pictures, explained the wet hair etc... I've spent so much time looking at them that I'm now finding it difficult to be objective ne_nau.gif