D200 vs. D90?

photosbycourtneyphotosbycourtney Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited October 8, 2009 in Cameras
Looking for a little input here! I currently have a Nikon D200 and shoot primarily horse shows as well as pets. I have gotten a lot of rave reviews on my pictures and offers to come shoot at shows with the pros to get some learning experience however my D200 and I only "sometimes" get along. I admit I don't do well with fast changing lighting when I need to shoot every horse in the ring so my shots either turn out amazingly or not so great (overexposed or underexposed). I really want to switch to a D90 since it has preset modes and also for the HD video so I can focus more on taking photos and videos of horses people have for sale. Would I be making a huge mistake here as an ammy photographer? I've heard great reviews and seen some very nice video shot with the D90 on Youtube. I also need a lens upgrade but I'm not entirely sure if that's why I have such a love/hate relationship with the D200. My autofocus seems to crap out on me every other day. Opinions? Spend the money on some photography classes and news lenses instead?

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    I have both cameras. The advantages of the D90:

1) better low light performance by about 1 stop
    2) few more megapixels
    3) HD video

The D200 has:
    1) slightly more robust autofocus system and FPS.
    2) weather sealed
    3) adjust the focal point by button rather then dig through menus.
    4) no presets and thus no slipping into different modes accidentally either

My take is that if you are new to photography then go with the D90. If you are experienced and you can get the d200 for cheap then that is teh way to go.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Spend the money on some photography classes and news lenses instead?

Yes. Your brain is the most important factor in creating great photography. Lenses are maybe 3rd on that list... the camera itself is around 7 or 8. :D
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    run_kmc wrote:
    Yes. Your brain is the most important factor in creating great photography. Lenses are maybe 3rd on that list... the camera itself is around 7 or 8. :D

+10! thumb.gif WELL said.
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    I have both cameras. The advantages of the D90:

1) better low light performance by about 1 stop
    2) few more megapixels
    3) HD video

The D200 has:
    1) slightly more robust autofocus system and FPS.
    2) weather sealed
    3) adjust the focal point by button rather then dig through menus.
    4) no presets and thus no slipping into different modes accidentally either
    I used a D200 for three years, but recently sold it and bought a D90. I agree with all of the above except the bit about focus points. The focus point on the D90 is selected in exactly the same way as on the D200.

Also, having used both, I don't think a switch to a D90 will help you very much unless the video capability is important. I don't think the "Program Modes" add that much. The main reason I switched is because I needed a lighter camera after two shoulder surgeries.

Learn how to use your D200 in Aperture Priority mode and you'll be fine.