Deep Forest Falls C&C

djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
edited October 5, 2009 in Landscapes
Off to the side of Canada's reputed third highest water fall located in the Bella Coola Area is this small waterfall dropping into a deep pool. The heavy moss growth reflects the amount of moisture in the air generated by the water falls in the area. Please feel free to train my eye in better composition and techniques.

649470230_8eY4z-L.jpg
http://www.djames-photography.com
In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Hi Dennis-

This is a lovely shot and looks like a beautiful place to be! I like the colors a lot and the lines in the trees are very appealing. I would like to see it cropped about 20% off the top--makes it almost square but not quit. Doing it quickly on my screen helps draw more attention to the waterfall, which I think is your main subject. I'm not the best at composition and others may disagree, but to me it would enhance an already excellent image.

Look forward to seeing more from you!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Hi Dennis-

This is a lovely shot and looks like a beautiful place to be! I like the colors a lot and the lines in the trees are very appealing. I would like to see it cropped about 20% off the top--makes it almost square but not quit. Doing it quickly on my screen helps draw more attention to the waterfall, which I think is your main subject. I'm not the best at composition and others may disagree, but to me it would enhance an already excellent image.

Look forward to seeing more from you!

Lauren

So what you are suggesting is to crop like this?

649470230_8eY4z-L-1.jpg
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Yes, exactly! To me, it works better to draw my eye along the path of the waterfall and also makes the waterfall stand out more. I didn't comment the first time, but I really like the soft motion of the water right in the center--it looks soft but the streaks still show the powerful energy in water.

Well done!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    very beautiful scene!
    i like your composition, and i like you post processing.

it always good to post your in camera setting/details of the shot to help in C&C

but the one thing that stands out to me is focus, it seems to be somewhere between the two closest trees. your closest tree should be more in focus IMO.

but beside that it really is a nice image to view.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited October 5, 2009
    Thank you Lauren for your inputs. Another opinion and a new set of eyes are often needed.
    edited October 5, 2009
    very beautiful scene!
    i like your composition, and i like you post processing.

it always good to post your in camera setting/details of the shot to help in C&C

but the one thing that stands out to me is focus, it seems to be somewhere between the two closest trees. your closest tree should be more in focus IMO.

but beside that it really is a nice image to view.

Aaron
    I can see what you are saying about the focus. I was trying to get as broad a field of focus as possible given the lighting and the fact I only had a mopopod for support.