Band Promotional Shots (comments welcomed)

justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
edited October 7, 2009 in People
Took some promo shots for a U2 Trbute band called Zoostation. Taking a while back during a downpour around the San Francisco Bay Area.

DSC_0034-2.jpg

DSC_0055-1.jpg

DSC_0059-3.jpg

DSC_0064-2.jpg

DSC_0078-1.jpg

DSC_0040-1-1.jpg

Comments

• JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    My first thought when looking at these was 'flat' - Your B&W conversion has left you with quite flat, grey images. Try using curves and levels to give them some more 'POP'.

Aside from this, watch out for cutting off parts of any band member - e.g in #1.

I think my favourites would be #2 and #3
    Jethro :D
    My Blog
    Jethro Kingston Photography
    Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE
  • Coleman PhotographyColeman Photography Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif, They seem very flat to me. like muddy looking.
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    I agree with the muddy and flat... do you need help converting them? Or was this your intended look?
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    These are actually the unedited images. The drummer in the band is a graphic designer and edited the photos later. But these are the unedited one like I said. Ill post the edited ones soon to compare.
    edited October 4, 2009
    ooh cant wait to see them... I do like the composition... very nice.
  • justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    here is one from their site that they are using for their posters.

zoostation8x10-2009.jpg
    edited October 4, 2009
    niiiice...
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    The later version is a good one. I think Adamesque and The Sledge are a little rigid. I like to see cool band members a little more laid back and comfortable. Also I feel there is such a thing as too random. It seems forced (the looking in different directions). I do understand the artistic goal here but I would still like to see a shot of them looking at the camera. I'm far from an expert so its just an opinion. I would like the oportunity to do one of these shoots sometime. Thanks for sharing.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    The edited image is much nicer. The ones you posted in the first post look very flat to me as well. For the specific image they used, it seems like the third guy from the left is not really relaxed at all to me, almost as if he is forcing his head to look that way using quite a bit of force? Maybe it's the angle of his head that is just not very natural? I'm not sure, but my eyes keep wandering back to the 3rd guy trying to figure out what's wrong with him. From the original ones you posted, I quite like #3 and #4 as well thumb.gif
  • FatFrogFotographyFatFrogFotography Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    As others have already said, the stronger contrast version is much better. Some very cool shots in there.

I actually jumped straight into looking at the shots without reading your one-liner at the top of your post...and my first impressions of the photos was that it was totally U2-ish!! Laughing.gif And then I went back and saw that they are a US tribute band...GOLD!