Options

Nancy, the Flag Lady

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited October 4, 2009 in Street and Documentary
This was taken in downtown Edgartown (not so urban) about a month ago. Coincidentally, this happened to have been the tenth anniversary - to the day - that Nancy has been raising and lowering every flag (7) in town, "To support the troops."

637865911_cfB5B-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    I think you did a very nice job with this one!
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2009
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    I think you did a very nice job with this one!

Thank you, Aaron. I was lucky, which is what a lot of street photography is, I think. I happened to be riding by on my bicycle, on my way to a local beach for a family shoot with my 40D strapped over my shoulder. Nancy was there, and the light was perfect.

I also like to talk to my subjects, when possible. Again, for me, street photography is about making connections.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    Thank you, Aaron. I was lucky, which is what a lot of street photography is, I think. I happened to be riding by on my bicycle, on my way to a local beach for a family shoot with my 40D strapped over my shoulder. Nancy was there, and the light was perfect.

I also like to talk to my subjects, when possible. Again, for me, street photography is about making connections.
    A couple of thoughts -
    First, this is a lovely image. I can appreciate the woman, flag, and light without any back story.
    Second, I'd love to see what you'd produce if you spent a day with this flag lady on her rounds - it could be a terrific picture story. For that matter, I could imagine shooting her over the course of four seasons.
    Third, there's "Street Photography" and photographing in the street - traditional street photography is, in away, the collection of visual found objects; it requires capturing what is, rather than manipulating situations. Engaging with, getting to know your subjects can be artistically fruitful - and certainly has an honored place here
    clap.gifclap.gif - but it is a different animal than 'true' street photography. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    A couple of thoughts -
    First, this is a lovely image. I can appreciate the woman, flag, and light without any back story.
    Second, I'd love to see what you'd produce if you spent a day with this flag lady on her rounds - it could be a terrific picture story. For that matter, I could imagine shooting her over the course of four seasons.
    Third, there's "Street Photography" and photographing in the street - traditional street photography is, in away, the collection of visual found objects; it requires capturing what is, rather than manipulating situations. Engaging with, getting to know your subjects can be artistically fruitful - and certainly has an honored place here
    clap.gifclap.gif - but it is a different animal than 'true' street photography. :D
    B.D. Thanks for your remarks. What you describe, spending the day with Nancy, etc. is something I would have done when I was photographing and writing for the Martha's Vineyard Times - Nancy would indeed be a good subject for such a project.
    Your comments re street photography are well taken, and appreciated.