Newsboy

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited October 6, 2009 in People
I posted a series on the PJ forum of photographs taken at the same time, but didn't think this one fit in with the theme, mostly because of how I processed the shot---C&C always welcome.

669045916_rnLxA-XL-1.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    love it
    love the shot and the processing -- can you share what all you did with it?
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    I posted a series on the PJ forum of photographs taken at the same time, but didn't think this one fit in with the theme, mostly because of how I processed the shot---C&C always welcome.

Well the series you posted over on Street/PJ was terrific, and this shot is very strong. But you wanted him to look extremely seasick....why? What in God's name is the point of turning a kid puke green? In the 'olden times,' if this had come back from the printer looking like this, I'd have said 'Oh F#$K!!' and thrown the print in the trash. Just sayin' rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited October 4, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Well the series you posted over on Street/PJ was terrific, and this shot is very strong. But you wanted him to look extremely seasick....why? What in God's name is the point of turning a kid puke green? In the 'olden times,' if this had come back from the printer looking like this, I'd have said 'Oh F#$K!!' and thrown the print in the trash. Just sayin' rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Now THIS is a lovely portrait of a handsome kid...clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    B.D.
    My comment on the other thread still applies. Which is why I purposely posted it here--the original was blue cast, I don't have proper PP so I can't do proper b&w conversions--they all look gray and muddy--so I went the complete opposite and cross processed--by using picnic which is not really crossprocessed (a cheating version of cross processed)--I gotta say I like the look--to me it looks vintage like--but i do like the b&w version too, when done right.

The other thread--all the shots are SOOC--taken on b&w grainy.

Not offended in the least btw--I value your opinion--but I still dig my conversion---oh and one more thing--my monitor on my old laptop is not calibrated--so it looks cool on mine--maybe he looks really green to everyone else--hmmmm.

I just showed the post to my husband you laughed--I think he found a kindred spirit.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited October 4, 2009
    B.D.
    My comment on the other thread still applies. Which is why I purposely posted it here--the original was blue cast, I don't have proper PP so I can't do proper b&w conversions--they all look gray and muddy--so I went the complete opposite and cross processed--by using picnic which is not really crossprocessed (a cheating version of cross processed)--I gotta say I like the look--to me it looks vintage like--but i do like the b&w version too, when done right.

The other thread--all the shots are SOOC--taken on b&w grainy.

Not offended in the least btw--I value your opinion--but I still dig my conversion---oh and one more thing--my monitor on my old laptop is not calibrated--so it looks cool on mine--maybe he looks really green to everyone else--hmmmm.

EDIT--I just showed your post to my husband and he can't stop laughing--I think he found a kindred spirit.

Definitely :-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Love it as-is, Lizzard! The color appeals to me....and surely not to everyone. This version, however, has a nice edgy look to it and I appluad your "processing". His sad expression, in my opinion, is furthered by the color. :D
    edited October 5, 2009
    Hey there Idlewild,
    I'm glad you like it:D . The sad expression was because his silverdollar pancakes were taking too long to get to the table.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited October 5, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Love it as-is, Lizzard! The color appeals to me....and surely not to everyone. This version, however, has a nice edgy look to it and I appluad your "processing". His sad expression, in my opinion, is furthered by the color. :D

I'm really intrigued by this - what makes this "edgy?"
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    "different"....is that a better word? It's edgy....to me. It breaks rules, obviously. It's not normal. It has character....to me. His expression begs to be either "blue" or "green".....it's written all over his face....to me. I'm pretty sure it appeals to me for all the reasons that it doesn't appeal to you. That's the fantabulous wondermental element about what we do. :D
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    I have to agree that the pp is awesome! I am a total fan of this kind of look. BD I understand that to you its a mess up, but thats because this sort of look is what is in now and wasn't in 10+ years ago. I think both b&w and this version both look good, but I prefer the color. Nice work!
    edited October 6, 2009
    I have to agree that the pp is awesome! I am a total fan of this kind of look. BD I understand that to you its a mess up, but thats because this sort of look is what is in now and wasn't in 10+ years ago. I think both b&w and this version both look good, but I prefer the color. Nice work!

No, it doesn't fail to appeal to me because it is "in now" and wasn't 10 years ago. It doesn't appeal to me because I find it, well, ugly. I don't need the flashing neon sign of blue green color to tell me what the subject is or isn't feeling. If it's a good photograph, it will convey the emotion - and it does that in black and white, and would do that in properly balanced color. (BTW - Liz, none of what I am saying now has anything to do with you - we're waaaaay beyond that. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif )

Do I believe there's a tendency today in 'popular' photography to confuse splashy and lazy with "good" and "creative?" Absolutely. If a photo's taken at a weird angle it's "edgy," "creative." If it's hyper-saturated it's "edgy" and "creative." If it's cross processed it's automatically "edgy" and "creative." Bunk. Either there's something there, or there isn't. If there's something there before all the craziness starts, it doesn't need the craziness. If there isn't something there, there still isn't.

However...That doesn't mean that one can't do really interesting, creative, edgy things with Photoshop and with the camera. But doing them requires real creativity, not just the application of whatever the Cool Filter" of the week happens to be.

IMHO. :ivar :ivar
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• PedroPedro Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Liz, I like your photo as is - in color.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    I like it! Both color and b&w! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited October 6, 2009
    Pedro--glad you like my version.

Make Me Shutter--I agree that the b&w version is very nice indeed--just works.

Elaine--I see you like both:)

Dooginfif20: Love how much you liked my take--appreciate that.

B.D.--where to start?
    I'll just quote a great and well known photographer "some of us like some things, some of us like others"--a quote by you B.D. said a few hours ago in response to some dgriners not getting Damon's photo--Thread found here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=146000

PS: I still really like my version mwink.gif , though I know it makes your eyes bleed.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    I LOVE the B&W version...what a great shot. Great job Liz!....
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Liz,

As you know, I really like different types of processing. But, for me, this image looks better in B&W. YMMV

It is a very nice capture either way thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited October 6, 2009
    Randy B.--glad you like my shot--thank you.
    _________