Pass or fail kid shot... Sparkling whites!

kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
edited October 6, 2009 in People
Okay, everybody I don't know if I pulled this off. I had this clear vision of what I wanted for this shot...Sparkling white background. Clean, adorable, delicate baby clothes hung neatly in the background with wooden clothes pins. Crisp white towels, stacked and folded, with wooden clothes pins scattered around. And of course a happy smiling baby! (a bonus that he decided to hold up the wooden clothes pin just perfectly for the camera).

This was taken at 1/200, ISO 800 and 3.5 f. I wasn't planning on using flash for this (window lighting), but at the last minute I popped on an old Nikon film SB22 speedlight onto my Canon dSLR *(which I know isn't metering the flash and perhaps not a good idea on my Canon). Anyway, I bounced the flash to the wall (with the windows). I wanted light and I GOT IT... Too much perhaps, but I did get the whites I wanted, LOL! Is this just WAY too bright? I really had a vision of pure white for this...but is it too much? Or is it fresh and clean? Luckily I shot in RAW so suggestions as to how I can modify this shot would be appreciated (I'm new to editing).

This is essentially "look" I wanted on this page.

Did I pull it off? Pass or Fail? Be honest. THANKS for the help...

SunshineLaundryEVANqualityprint-1.jpg

Comments

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Also here are a few more for CC. It is what I ended up with...for better or for worse. Never easy with this baby on the move. Too much light...not enough light (one was w/o flash- in basket). Is there anything immediate that you see that I could have done to make this more successful? Thanks. I want to make this better.
    Laundry2_edited-2.jpg
    BWfav.jpg
    LaundrySepiaFav.jpg
    Laundry4.jpg

Laundry6.jpg
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    You executed your vision tremendously! It's got a sunny, high-key look without looking blown out or losing nice shadow contours on the baby or the clothes. The only thing I would consider doing is cloning out some of the wrinkles in the backdrop sheet. Unlike the nice lines that the folds in the bottom sheet add to the composition, the texture in the backdrop sheet just pulls the eye away from the main subject. Otherwise, I love it! clap.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Halite wrote:
    You executed your vision tremendously! It's got a sunny, high-key look without looking blown out or losing nice shadow contours on the baby or the clothes. The only thing I would consider doing is cloning out some of the wrinkles in the backdrop sheet. Unlike the nice lines that the folds in the bottom sheet add to the composition, the texture in the backdrop sheet just pulls the eye away from the main subject. Otherwise, I love it! clap.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

Note in particular in #1 how CRISPLY clear you got the eyes - that's what you want!! You really nailed it. My only nit in #1 is either that he needed a change that you didn't spot,, OR his big toe is casting a shadow in a most unfortunate place.... probably worth cloning that one out rolleyes1.gif

I don't think 3&4 work as well - I see white balance problems there, and am going to guess the mixed light sources are giving you some colour casts; they're also slightly soft (with less light, did your shutter speed drop so that you got some camera shake?)

You are making tremendous strides with every batch you share - keep up the good work!!! thumb.gif
    edited October 5, 2009
    Halite and Divamum, THANKS for commenting!!! thumb.gif I'm SO thrilled you both liked this shot. WOW--- I even executed it "tremendously! ?!" I'm very glad I pulled it off. DM, I was pretty sure the others weren't up to par, but I'm just thrilled that I nailed one! I have really had that image in my head for some time now and the pressure I was feeling to create it was getting to me! What a relief that I pulled it off. Too funny about the diaper spot- I think it is indeed his foot casting a shadow (or at least that is what we'll say, Laughing.gif!)

Halite. I will read up on cloning and figure out how to clean up that backdrop sheet. You are absolutely correct. I didn't notice it until now but it is very distracting. Thanks for that great suggestion before I send this one off to print for his baby book!

Oh DM, a couple of these were w/o speedlight. The speedlight helped SO MUCH! I couldn't get the whites "white" without it!!! That is why I went sepia or b/w on the others. They were all handheld, but the speedlight worked wonders (both for focus/crispness and whites). I will need to get one that meters specifically for this camera. That was an old Nikon SLR film speedlight and it isn't metering with my dSLR Canon. I have a few items for my xmas list already!

Thanks again...At least I got this one keeper! I was just thrilled his eyes turned out so clear and I didn't overexpose the whites. It was a risk in shooting all whites.

Thank you again for commenting. The comments are what help keep me going forward!!!! :)
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    Il es Beau!thumb.gif Ce Bebe aussi!
    tom wise
    edited October 5, 2009
    wings.gif Thanks, Tom!!
    angevin1 wrote:
    Il es Beau!thumb.gif Ce Bebe aussi!
  • JermbubbaJermbubba Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    speachless! well done
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    I really love #1 in your second post. It's perfect. I wouldn't distract from it with any photoshopped frames, but that's me. The rest are ok, but something about the baby's face just isn't working for me anywhere near as well as in 1. Also I don't think the others meet your stated goals, while 1 totally nails them. I think the deep DOF of 1 really works for this theme. The shallower DOF of the others distracts me, as the props in the shot are oof. I like that 1 is pure white - the baby's eyes and skin really pop. The others are too warm, and the basket is distracting to me. I rarely like sepia, and never on babies.

1 is a home run, good job! If the parents haven't seen the pictures, I wouldn't let them... just print 1 at like 12x18, matte it, frame it, and present it to them in person. They won't be able to not buy it. Name your price. If they roll up in a nice car, I would say $200.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited October 5, 2009
    Okay, you just made my day :ivar I feel like I just won $200 in the lottery because I'm the parent, lol and I have the RAW file! Glad I hit a home run with this shot. I also felt that #1 was my only keeper of the batch. I'm very fine with that though. At this point consistency isn't one of my strengths. But to set up this shot and get what I wanted out of it is an AWESOME feeling. I'm glad you liked it. THANKS for commenting :)
    I really love #1 in your second post. It's perfect.

1 is a home run, good job! If the parents haven't seen the pictures, I wouldn't let them... just print 1 at like 12x18, matte it, frame it, and present it to them in person. They won't be able to not buy it. Name your price. If they roll up in a nice car, I would say $200.
    edited October 5, 2009
    iloveyou.gif Thanks!
    Jermbubba wrote:
    speachless! well done
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    As with many others...#1 is a CLEAR WINNER! Great job.clap.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP