Photos of friends and Tulips!

stirlsilverstirlsilver Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited October 5, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Hi all,
I felt like sharing some of my recent photos I took when myself and some friends headed up to a tulip festival in the mountains. It was freezing, raining and very muddy. But it didn't stop me from trying to get some shots and coordinate my friends into posing for some of the shots!

These are some of my favourites, but the complete set of photos is here if you want to look at the rest:
http://stirlsilver.smugmug.com/Flowers/Tesselaar-Tulip-Festival270909/9784165_PJdrh#663685236_zV8u3

Anyway, on with the photos:

Before I got into the photos of the flowers, I managed to catch an attack in progress!
663694190_tB6Cz-X2.jpg

Trying to work with a protrait shot with an umbella as a background, in hind sight I should have had the umbrella so the white section was hidden because the white is just a little too bright.
663703819_MKMWB-X2.jpg

I could have spent some more time on the composition of this shot, but friends were waiting so I didn't really have time to sit and fiddle around taking photos of a single flower! Not enough DOF.
663706270_PonGB-X2.jpg

I like this photo for its symmetry!
663706845_4CtPQ-X2.jpg

But... I like this photo even better, the child in the background with the umbrella is the icing on the cake in my opinion! I should have probably used a smaller aperture... guess I need to learn for next time.
663707529_Jkr4p-X2.jpg

A single tulip, all its neighbours had been picked away.
663707982_jhsKB-X2.jpg

A group photo... with the flowers naturally!
663708454_dmqwJ-X2.jpg

Trying my hand at some more portrait shots, I like the way this one turned out.
663709715_LQzxj-X2.jpg

I would love the opinion from others on these shots, it was a very overcast day which definitely softened everything up, but I often found it hard to get the right amount of colour saturation. This was because it was tricky to get both the colours of the flowers and skin tones to look nice... too much saturation and the red flowers looked like they were glowing!

Anyway, any constructive critisism is really appreciated!!

Thanks!
Stirling

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    That's an interesting group of pictures. It's always good to see people having an enjoyable time. The flower scenes are nice as well. I think some of your people shots would benefit from employing the technique of fill flash. It would enhance the presentation of the subject....bring the people out more, make for a more pleasing picture.

Thanks for sharing the experience,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • stirlsilverstirlsilver Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    That's an interesting group of pictures. It's always good to see people having an enjoyable time. The flower scenes are nice as well. I think some of your people shots would benefit from employing the technique of fill flash. It would enhance the presentation of the subject....bring the people out more, make for a more pleasing picture.

Thanks for sharing the experience,

Tom

Thanks Tom,
    I keep forgetting about that technique! I've only got the inbuilt flash at the moment which would mean it wouldn't really work for subjects at a long distance. But the portrait with the umbrella in the background would have been ideal! Damn...

Thanks for the tip! I appreciate it.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    What a nice series :D

I really like # 6 -- waterdrops on petals is one of my favorites.

Thanks for sharing.