Concert photography...something new for me. 56K warning

MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
edited October 22, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I really couldn't find a home for these images so I am posting them here. :D I am usually pointing my lens at birds or some other wildlife. This was a whole new experience for me...no concerts, but the photography part.

I had the great luck to have a parent at my school that works for the company that does the concert lighting for Metallica. She is based in town while her husband travels with Metallica. She obtained backstage passes for me. I was able to go backstage, walk around, take pictures in certain places...Even with a pass there were areas that were off limits. Metallica had two opening bands that are two of my favorites as well. The first band was Gojira. They play a brand of extreme metal wrapped around environmentally and socially themed lyrics. The second band was Lamb of God who play a brand of new American metalcore or so the critics call it. They too are a very good and technically proficient band. I was able to meet the drummer for Lamb of God. He couldn't have been nicer and more down to earth. BTW, one odd thing about the whole night was how drug free the environment was. I am used to attending metal concerts back in the 80s and drugs were everywhere. I'm not complaining. It's nice to see people and bands who are more discreet about getting high or drunk. I guess it is the parent in me, but since Metallica is from generation there were many people with kids at the show and a lot of gray hair. :) The kids do not need to see that.

Anyhow, here are some photos. This is my first attempt at concert photography. I was only allowed a lens that was less than five inches long so to be sure I just brought in my Canon "Fantastic Plastic" 50mm F1.8 lens. I even had to use my back-up camera, the venerable Canon Digital Rebel 450D since my 40D is being professionally cleaned. It took me a while to figure out the best settings but I think what I got is usable.

Equipment containers
Gojira.jpg

LambofGodSmall.jpg

MetallicaSmall.jpg

Chris Adler, the drummer for Lamb of God
ChrisAdlerLambofGod.jpg

Joe Duplantier, vocalist and lead guitar for Gojira
JoeDuplantierGojira.jpg

Michel Labadie, bassist for Gojira
MichelLabadieGojira1.jpg

James Hetfield, lead singer, rhythm guitar for Metallica
JamesMetallica1.jpg

Kirk Hammett, lead guitar for Metallica
KirkMetallica1.jpg

Robert Trujillo, bassist for Metallica
RobertTrujillo.jpg

I have quite a few more that I will share later.

Comments

• MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Great shots - I love the way you've managed to capture very different atmosphere with each of the performers clap.gif

Were these shots cropped or were you that close?

Looking forward to seeing the rest.
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Oh man, you are so lucky! I have always wanted to do concert photography. I thought it would be awesome to travel the world with a band and take photos like that.

Great shots..love the one of James!
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • riseagainstriseagainst Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    ahh LOG your freaking lucky!
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Thanks to you all. Here are some more from the night.

KirkHammett10.jpg

KirkHammett11.jpg

KirkHammett9.jpg

KirkMetallica2-1.jpg

KirkRobertMetallica1-1.jpg

RobertTrujilloandLars.jpg

JamesHetfield2.jpg

JamesHetfield7.jpg

JamesandLars2.jpg
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    You got some great shots! Good work.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • MooseKillerMooseKiller Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    What an exceptional opportunity! (Green with envy) You caputred some great shots... Thanks for sharing!
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    These are awesome shots and in a difficult environment. You did a great job on all of these.
    wendell
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Thanks again everyone....awesome show it was!