Lens Auto Focusing issues

Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
edited October 4, 2009 in Cameras
Need some help please. I lent a friend who just bought a Canon 50D my old 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS USM to shoot with for the day as she didn't have anything but a 50mm 1.8. I have not used this lens in probably 2 years, but the last time I used it I remember it working fine. When she tried to use it yesterday it would not autofocus between basically 50mm and 85mm. She brought it back to me last night and I tried it on my cameras and had the same issue. Has anyone else had this problem? is it a motor problem? I tried cleaning the nodes with an eraser but no better. Is it even worth having it looked at by Canon?

Thanks for your help.
Jeff Milo
MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 4, 2009
    Jeff, what do you see if you shine a small LED flashlight through the lens by itself, from the front and from the back?

As you zoom?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Looks like maybe some dust specs on the inside of the lens but not sure. Am I looking for something specific?
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
    edited October 4, 2009
    Jeff_Milo wrote:
    Looks like maybe some dust specs on the inside of the lens but not sure. Am I looking for something specific?

Compare the view against a lens which does not have the AF problems. Is there any internal diffusion? (Fungus or mildew, for instance.)
    ziggy53
    edited October 4, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Compare the view against a lens which does not have the AF problems. Is there any internal diffusion? (Fungus or mildew, for instance.)

Not that I can see just looks like some dust specs
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
    edited October 4, 2009
    Unfortunately that's the only thing I could think of that "might" have caused an AF problem specific to a zoom range. It does sound like you would have to send it in.

If you like the lens I suspect it would be more economical to repair than replace, but you should indicate a maximum/limit if you submit the lens for repair.
    ziggy53
    edited October 4, 2009
    Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com