Winter's return

scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
edited October 6, 2009 in Landscapes
Having FINALLY received my order of Lee ND Grad filters, I was eager to put them to use. This past week brought the first snows of fall to the Cascades. Forecasts called for continued clouds and chance of snow but, as Saturday morning developed, Mount Baker remained visible. I decided to roll the dice and take my gear up to Heather Meadows at the end of the Mount Baker Highway.

Rather than join the other photographers at Picture Lake, I set out for the saddle that seperates the Bagley Lake basin from the Chain Lakes basin. At the start of the "magic hour," I found myself on the saddle with Mount Baker to my right and Mount Shuksan to my left.

This was one of the best sunsets I've been able to photograph in some time (easily surpassing last week's!). About the time I had decided to head back, the full moon briefly broke through the thickening clouds. A wonderful outing..

1. Fall color and winter snows
670004747_STNcS-L.jpg

2. Approaching the saddle
670004847_djxQY-L.jpg

3. Mount Shuksan
670005034_UaYZG-L.jpg

4. Mount Baker and Iceberg Lake below
670004948_pmNe6-L.jpg

5. Hadley Peak
670005268_7SYXx-L.jpg

6. Alpenglow on Nooksack Ridge (L) and Ruth Mountain (R)
670005516_oq4EU-L.jpg

7. Alpenglow on Mount Shuksan
670006105_s899f-L.jpg

8. Last rays of sunset
670005714_nuGXW-L.jpg

9. Glaciers of Mount Baker
670006561_7DWjB-L.jpg

10. Moonrise over Ruth Mountain
670007320_txd8C-L.jpg

Thanks for looking..

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    Beautiful series of photos thumb.gif Did you use the filter for all of them?
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    Thank you, Mary.

I didn't use the ND filters on every shot. From memory, #1,2,5,10 did not use a ND Grad (but did use a Circ Polarizer). The rest used either the 0.3 or 0.6 ND Grad. Since light changes so quickly during that hour leading up to sunset, I don't remember too much apart from frantically running around trying to set up for each shot!
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    Beautiful series Steve. I really did enjoy looking at every one of these. Very nice!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 5, 2009
    Excellent series. thumb.gif

How much hiking did you have to do to get these shots, Steve? ear.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Appreciate the additional comments.

Joel-

The hike was only about 2 miles in and about 1,200' of elevation gain. I like to keep my hikes out in the dark as short as possible when I'm alone! :D
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    scole wrote:
    Thank you, Mary.

I didn't use the ND filters on every shot. From memory, #1,2,5,10 did not use a ND Grad (but did use a Circ Polarizer). The rest used either the 0.3 or 0.6 ND Grad. Since light changes so quickly during that hour leading up to sunset, I don't remember too much apart from frantically running around trying to set up for each shot!

Thank you for the information on the filters used :D

As for the frantic -- I know that feeling rolleyes1.gif