B&W film scanning

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited October 5, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
This is a general question of availability. I'm thinking of shooting B&W film (again... :cry ) and I wondered if anybody knew of a good lab that would deliver well-scanned TIFFs. I've heard somewhere that many scanners don't work on B&W negs and essentially I don't want to scan myself or buy a scanner or indeed have the time. In an ideal world, I would send in film and get back scans that weren't done by an ape.

I haven't used a lab in 6-7 years so I'm completely out of the loop on this. Is it a realistic thing to ask?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 5, 2009
    Most of our scanner questions, including scanner services, wind up the Digital Darkroom Gear forum, hence the move.

I believe that DGrin has a scan partner; "BritePix":

http://www.smugmug.com/ClubSmug/

Previously, many folks were happy with, "ScanCafe".

If any of the media are truly priceless then you might also consider any local services you might have since any remote service involves some extra risk in transit to and from the service. (Stuff happens.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Most of our scanner questions, including scanner services, wind up the Digital Darkroom Gear forum, hence the move.

I believe that DGrin has a scan partner; "BritePix":

http://www.smugmug.com/ClubSmug/

Previously, many folks were happy with, "ScanCafe".

If any of the media are truly priceless then you might also consider any local services you might have since any remote service involves some extra risk in transit to and from the service. (Stuff happens.)

yes, I've used one of these services, but I think the timeframe for this type of service is longer than what I'm angling for, which is a combination processing/scanning/delivery. ScanCafe is the hands-down winner on price, and we all know why. Maybe if most scanning service is being treated like this, it'll be hard to find a lab that does it in a cost effective way.