Options

Faux Bridals

teachfluteteachflute Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited October 5, 2009 in Weddings
I have always wanted to shoot Bridals at this state park. It is a fort from the American revolution called Fort Knox and it is right on the river. It's a little out of the way from where I live, so I've never been able to do bridals there. Last weekend, I had my friend pose as the bride. She wasn't happy with her wedding pics 7 years ago, so we bought a discount dress, I made the veil and arranged the flowers. We had a blast. I did some experimenting with processing and would love to have some C&C

Thanks!
663010802_gUgsc-L-1.jpg

669264716_jpSKM-L.jpg

664440325_fjWqZ-L-1.jpg

669312201_e9cKg-L.jpg

670409880_KUYV8-L.jpg

670422464_TJqhF-L.jpg

670449380_cWKKz-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    Hi Judi. The overall look of the processing is too harsh for my eye. Yes, we can get away with that at times especially when including the surrounding area. You mention that you've wanted to shoot in this fort. Most of these could have been just about anywhere as they are half body frames with the exception of #3. #4 just doesn't work. The processing isn't fitting for this type of shot but it has larger problems. The pose, the look on your subject's face isn't flattering. The setting kills the rest. #5 from that lower angle actenuates her facial lines and wrinkles....never a good thing when shooting women plus the right side is over exposed.

#3 has so many possibilities...this is where off camera lighting could offer numerous looks. I love that staircase.

Keep going....try lots of different angles but remember to shoot in such a way that flatters your subject...always easier said than done. :D Post production contributes a great deal of that flattery as well.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Hi Judi. The overall look of the processing is too harsh for my eye. Yes, we can get away with that at times especially when including the surrounding area. You mention that you've wanted to shoot in this fort. Most of these could have been just about anywhere as they are half body frames with the exception of #3. #4 just doesn't work. The processing isn't fitting for this type of shot but it has larger problems. The pose, the look on your subject's face isn't flattering. The setting kills the rest. #5 from that lower angle actenuates her facial lines and wrinkles....never a good thing when shooting women plus the right side is over exposed.

#3 has so many possibilities...this is where off camera lighting could offer numerous looks. I love that staircase.

Keep going....try lots of different angles but remember to shoot in such a way that flatters your subject...always easier said than done. :D Post production contributes a great deal of that flattery as well.

Hi!

Thank you so much for your C&C. Where this wasn't a "paying" client, I did a lot of experimenting with the posing and Post processing that I don't usually do.

My next big purchase is going to be some OCL. I have the cheap cactus triggers now, but they're not exactly dependable.

Here is one of the full bodied shots from the day and an example of why I wanted to shoot here.

669300976_BVLSW-L.jpg

Again, I really appreciate your C&C Harsh but true advice is what's going to make me a better photographer.

P.S. I do see the sensor dust. I need to go back and edit it out then get it cleaned. :)
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    Most of this is very good and I know you are learning as we all are, but I will just echo something Swartzy said with an almost universal rule of people photography. Unless your subject takes up less than 10% of the frame, never shoot from a camera position lower than the nose. This is especially true with her face shape, which dictates that camera position should ALWAYS be from above the nose, and avoid profile. #2 her face should be turned even more to the light, at least enough to get it across her nose and onto the shadow side cheek and eye.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    Blurmore wrote:
    Unless your subject takes up less than 10% of the frame, never shoot from a camera position lower than the nose. This is especially true with her face shape, which dictates that camera position should ALWAYS be from above the nose, and avoid profile. #2 her face should be turned even more to the light, at least enough to get it across her nose and onto the shadow side cheek and eye.

Blur et al: is there a book/other source for this kind of very specific portrait theory/technique/information? I know a few of the "rules", but I just KNOW that there's more information out there to help guide one's choices with different face shapes and body types - to date, I do it "by eye" (iow, what looks good to me as I'm shooting) and figuring it all out by trial and error but would just love to get some more ideas that I can try out as starting points - i have no doubt that I could save a lot of time and get better shots if I knew more of the theory behind angles+features. I know some of this is plain old-fashioned skill and experience, but I figure there must be something out there to get people like me started with tried-n-true approaches!

Tx.

OP, I like #3 the best of the ones you posted - the comp works for me, and the processing actually enhances this particular setup.
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Blur et al: is there a book/other source for this kind of very specific portrait theory/technique/information? I know a few of the "rules", but I just KNOW that there's more information out there to help guide one's choices with different face shapes and body types - to date, I do it "by eye" (iow, what looks good to me as I'm shooting) and figuring it all out by trial and error but would just love to get some more ideas that I can try out as starting points - i have no doubt that I could save a lot of time and get better shots if I knew more of the theory behind angles+features. I know some of this is plain old-fashioned skill and experience, but I figure there must be something out there to get people like me started with tried-n-true approaches!

Tx.

OP, I like #3 the best of the ones you posted - the comp works for me, and the processing actually enhances this particular setup.

Not so sure about books...but here is a good resource.

http://home.earthlink.net/~terryleedawson/id11.html
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    Blurmore wrote:

Hmmmm... some helpful lighting info there, but I sure wish I could find more of the angles/how-to-flatter-faces stuff like you mention in your own post! The search is on... :D
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2009
    Blurmore wrote:

Great link. Thanks!!