edited October 5, 2009
    None of the above. rolleyes1.gif

Nice catch.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    670958583_6GBBF-XL.jpg

Almost. I can't put my finger on why it doesn't quite work.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    There is something cool about how the recycle bins are 'looking' at you, and the trash is 'looking' away.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    Thanks for the comments guys. I started out trying to get just the three recycle bins, then noticed the lonely standard issue receptacle to the right. It somehow seemed miffed that the three upstarts had taken over it's territory. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Almost. I can't put my finger on why it doesn't quite work.

Perhaps if it had a human element ... or a humorous human element like waiting for the timing and prepositioning the angle to catch just a head above the trashcan on the right ... or just waiting for some serendipitous additional element to kick it up to the next level. Well, that's just what I would do ... what would Erwitt do?
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Your title is perfect!

As abstract, I think it is good. But I agree with seastack that it needs more....life.
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    I like it w/o people. Its about the cans.
    I think from a statement point of view, if the colorful cans were cleaner and the other can was more rumpled, it would have had a stronger sense of 'replaced and dejected', but there is something still telling with how used the recycling containers are (they are starting of fill), and how relatively unused the regular can looks.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 6, 2009
    I think adding a human element would be very difficult without actually staging the shot, say someone between the group of three and the lone unlabeled one holding something made of wood and looking perplexed. The chances of happening upon that are pretty slim. Unless the person is in just the right place, one or more of the signs would be blocked, which would spoil the joke. I guess if you waited long enough, though, you could catch somebody putting a soft drink can into the wrong container or--worse--tossing it onto the ground. mwink.gif
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    I think a shapely leg on a high heel, slightly blurred as it leaves the scene while a hand from same thoughtlessly tosses something recyclable into the standard receptacle, would either give this photo a serious message or make it really comical.

As for the image itself, I think it just barely misses the rule of thirds; it needs either more background or foreground. I can't decide which.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather