shooting in backlight

kevinpwkevinpw Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited October 6, 2009 in Technique
So the sun is up, i have no shades, and i have no choice but to shoot a person with the sunlight directly behind her. What do I do in this situation? I don't want to shoot a sillhouette. I want to preserve her facial and clothing colors, but the sunlight is glaring all over the place.

thanks for the tips

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    You haven't mentioned how you do your post-processing. If you use Photoshop or a similar program, you can make the figure a selection and adjust the shadows/highlights in the figure only without blowing out the background.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Just to clarify...you're asking for help pre-shoot, right?

I'm not the best person to help with this, but it seems you have at least three or four choices:
    1) expose for her face and overexpose the background (depending on what the background is, this may or may not work or look right)
    2) expose for the background and fill in her face with flash and/or a reflector
    3) see if there is something near you (like a building) that light can bounce off of and act as a giant reflector
    4) make two exposures (one properly exposed background and one properly exposed subject) and put them together in photoshop

There is lots of beautiful backlight featured on Denise Bovee's blog. I don't know her shooting methods or processing techniques, but backlight can be a beautiful thing!

Good luck!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Elaine wrote:

Link is not working for me...
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    tijoseph wrote:
    Link is not working for me...

Hmmm...sorry about that. Perhaps this will work?

http://denisebovee.net/
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • kevinpwkevinpw Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Just to clarify...you're asking for help pre-shoot, right?

I'm not the best person to help with this, but it seems you have at least three or four choices:
    1) expose for her face and overexpose the background (depending on what the background is, this may or may not work or look right)
    2) expose for the background and fill in her face with flash and/or a reflector
    3) see if there is something near you (like a building) that light can bounce off of and act as a giant reflector
    4) make two exposures (one properly exposed background and one properly exposed subject) and put them together in photoshop

There is lots of beautiful backlight featured on Denise Bovee's blog. I don't know her shooting methods or processing techniques, but backlight can be a beautiful thing!

Good luck!

thank you! i will keep these tips in mind. and to answer the first question, i do use Lightroom and Photoshop for post processing.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    There were some helpful tips and links provided in this thread.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=144727
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site