Bite Me (NOT)

FleasFleas Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited January 19, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
As a hobby and a public service I do reptile rescues in and around Phoenix, AZ. There are about 40 of us and on a hot summer evening we can get as many as 60 hotline calls. As the city spreads into the outlying desert and foot hills people and wildlife start have conflicts. My job is to safely remove the reptile without harming it, me or the homeowners. Sometimes this is not easy. This Western Diamondback Rattlesnake was removed fron a new upscaled home in the foothills of North Phoenix. He was not a happy camper and struck at me three time when I was having him pose for pictures, scaring the heck out my helper.
1539049-M.jpg

Comments

• Mike WernerMike Werner Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    Rather you than me. Just looking at the pic makes me cream my pants....

Good photo though.
    Mike Werner
    Paris, France

http://news.motorbiker.org/
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    Fleas wrote:
    As a hobby and a public service I do reptile rescues in and around Phoenix, AZ. There are about 40 of us and on a hot summer evening we can get as many as 60 hotline calls. As the city spreads into the outlying desert and foot hills people and wildlife start have conflicts. My job is to safely remove the reptile without harming it, me or the homeowners. Sometimes this is not easy. This Western Diamondback Rattlesnake was removed fron a new upscaled home in the foothills of North Phoenix. He was not a happy camper and struck at me three time when I was having him pose for pictures, scaring the heck out my helper.
    1539049-M.jpg
    Nice, I used to live in Southern California and ran accross these guys fairly regularly. They are interesting. The young ones are extra strike-y aren't they mwink.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • FleasFleas Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    Thanks..
    Thanks Mike and Shay.. Some of the younger ones would rather fight that flee..Most rattlesnakes just want to get away..........but every once in a while one wants to kill me. God gave them the ability to do that and I have to respect that. Later I will post one that acually charges me and I have to drop the camera and grab him. This is very rare. A rookie probably would have been bit. Most snake bits and death in the US is caused by the diamondback. We have one more dangerous yet, but he is confined to the deserts and not as wide spread. A picture later. Dont want to scare everbody off.:D
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    Jeepers, Fleas, that's one scary hobby. Shame about the effects of population growth. Can't say you could talk me into going along with you for an evening. :gone So, consider yourself a risktaker? nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au