Don't B Flat
671848041_4rLgK-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    No day of rest for you hu?

Like the shot--very much---
    Work with the blue so it pops or stands out--right now the main subject is the birds on a wire (which again is very cool) but for challenge purposes, make the blue the theme. Least that's what I think.

clap.gif
    Great start.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    I get the idea, which is very cute, but the musician in me is bothered by there only being 4 "lines" (music staves have 5)........... ne_nau.gif

ETA: Actually, it would be pretty easy to clone in a middle line - there's pretty much exactly the right amount of space between the two sets of two!!
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Thanks, Liz! Serendipity - I saw this while walking the dog last night. I was thinking, "Singing the Blues", when it caught my eye. The blue sky is a bonus. I will work on the blue color a bit or maybe go for a reshoot. There were some high, thin clouds and it was dusk, so the blue faded a bit.

Thanks, DivaMum! I thought you would get it. And I was bothered by the missing line, too. But then I thought the B line is missing, which kind of goes with the title. I'll try cloning one in and see how it looks.

How about the composition? Should I crop a little tighter, clone in a bass clef?
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    I like this. The blue sky is the backdrop, but it isn't about the sky. I love the one bird that seems to be landing (or exploding). I think adding the 5th line would be a very clever stroke to the image with the musical title.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2009
    Thanks, Andrew! I liked that one , too. And it is the one that made me think about being flat. Kind of a splat note from a trumpet. :D
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 6, 2009
    I had to giggle as that one lil bird made me think of a part in the movie "Shrek" where Fiona was singing in the forest and a bird was singing with her and when she hit a really high note the bird exploded....Laughing.gif. I guess that sounds bad...but it was so funny....no one expected it!

As for the image...I like it! I agree if you could get that last line in the middle it would improve.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2009
    Ever see the Pixar short with the little blue birds on the wire?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_V-GI2BQss
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I like this. The blue sky is the backdrop, but it isn't about the sky. I love the one bird that seems to be landing (or exploding). I think adding the 5th line would be a very clever stroke to the image with the musical title.

If you're going that far, might as well bring them back ( clone out) to one octave or even an arpeggio:D...not a bad direction either~!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    Thanks for the comments, Angevin1 and JAG. Hilarious video, Andrew, even on the 2nd or 3rd viewing!

So I added the B line and upped the saturation. Should I clone in some birds on the B line or is it better as is? Or maybe clone in and out a few of birds to make it a real melody?

674094124_f3X2e-L.jpg
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Did you shoot this in RAW? If so, then there's no need for saturation.
    While it is in RAW in photoshop go to vibrance and bump that up to about 30 or 50 and watch that blue pop! The results are amazing thumb.gif
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    Thanks for the comments, Angevin1 and JAG. Hilarious video, Andrew, even on the 2nd or 3rd viewing!

So I added the B line and upped the saturation. Should I clone in some birds on the B line or is it better as is? Or maybe clone in and out a few of birds to make it a real melody?

I like it.
    How about "I'd like to teach the world to sing" ? :D
    Or the opening theme music from "The Birds" ?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    I assume, of course, you've all seen THIS.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    I assume, of course, you've all seen THIS.

Cool!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sdgphotosdgphoto Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    I like your image a lot. Very cool!
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    Thanks for the comments Mrs. Cue, Andrew, Tatiana, and sdgphoto. Unfortunately, my version of Photoshop Elements does not support my camera's raw format, so I have not always been shooting in raw, including this shot.

Thanks, Mark, for the cool link! I had not seen it.

I played a bit with Levels. Does this improve it?

Don't B Flat in E Flat

Original
    674094124_f3X2e-L.jpg

New
    679260489_27mTw-L.jpg

And then I found another option.

Is There Balm in Gilead?

678738488_tHdu5-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    Middle one.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    WhatSheSaw wrote:

maybe add a wispy treble clef made from clouds to solidify the idea that the birds are notes, just kidding. I like that you added the extra wire it finishes off the image nicely. No I don't think you should clone out any of the birds.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    Thanks for your comments, Andrew and Sean! I posted the middle one for the challenge.

When I come up with my ideas, I think they are great. But then I see everyone else's and start to doubt myself. There is a lot of blue color in this challenge and not much unhappy. Except for me now being unhappy with my entry. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    Thanks for your comments, Andrew and Sean! I posted the middle one for the challenge.

When I come up with my ideas, I think they are great. But then I see everyone else's and start to doubt myself. There is a lot of blue color in this challenge and not much unhappy. Except for me now being unhappy with my entry. rolleyes1.gif

I think you have a wonderful entry. You did a really nice job on it.

Peace, gail
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    Thanks, Gail! I'm still new enough at this that I don't really trust my judgment.