ST-E2 confusion

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 6, 2009 in Technique
Boy, I feel like a doofus needing to ask this, but I remember reading somewhere that the labelling Canon use is "backwards" and now i can't remember which is which!

On the ste2 when it says 8:1 (ie far left) does that mean the A group is BRIGHTER (8x to 1x ie 8/1) or LESS bright (1x to 8x, ie 1/8)?

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 6, 2009
    When the needle is to the left, then group A is brighter. This is just as you would expect. I think the backwards labeling thing is something that Chuck Gardner wrote with respect to studio lighting conventions. I believe he says that in the industry, when you talk about x:y, x is key light and y is fill. On the Canon system, it's the opposite, because group A is defaulted to the unit connected to the hot shoe, and thus is the fill light. Ignoring that however, the Canon system is consistent within itself and there's no confusion.

HTH,
    -joel
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    When the needle is to the left, then group A is brighter. This is just as you would expect. I think the backwards labeling thing is something that Chuck Gardner wrote with respect to studio lighting conventions. I believe he says that in the industry, when you talk about x:y, x is key light and y is fill. On the Canon system, it's the opposite, because group A is defaulted to the unit connected to the hot shoe, and thus is the fill light. Ignoring that however, the Canon system is consistent within itself and there's no confusion.

HTH,
    -joel

BRILLIANT. That is exactly what I needed to know, and exactly WHY I was getting confused - thanks!! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 6, 2009
    Hey, yer welcome! :D This stuff is fresh in my mind because I'm trying to get it all sorted out myself at the moment. Single flash, multiple-wireless with 580 master, multiple wireless with ST-2, ETTL, manual mode, etc, etc. Lots of combinations, and things don't always work the way you'd expect them. headscratch.gif I think it will be rewarding when we finally get it all figured out though. deal.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    kdog wrote:

HTH,
    -joel

Yep, Joel's got it correct.

Also, I find it easier to physically label my flash units and be consistent. If using an ST-E2 or Pocket Wizards, I'll use flash labeled "A" as the key light; "B" as fill & "C" as background or hair light, if I'm using a third light at all. (but remember; Group C meters differently than A or B if using a 580EX(II) as master) Chuck Gardner's site explains this in detail.

As Joel mentioned; If using a 580EX(II) as master on camera, that defaults to "A". So, I put the flash that is labeled "A" on the camera itself. Just remember that "A" is now the fill light, if you have it enabled to contribute to the exposure.

This lends consistency, so I don't have to think about it when adjusting ratios.

I guess you could always use "B" as your key light, no matter what, then you wouldn't have to change your thinking if using a 580EX(II) on camera as master. But that just sounds wrong to me & would keep me mixed-up.

Anyway, just settle on a (naming) system and stick to it until it becomes second-nature.
    Randy