Sunrise on the rocky shore-C&C

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited October 8, 2009 in Landscapes
Made the early morning trip to one of my favorite local shooting locations. About a half hour before sunrise there was a deep red glow in the sky and the light changed very rapidly over the next 45 minutes as the sun rose. Comments and critiques would be appreciated. Thanks!

672285449_otte4-L.jpg

672279616_ywYnU-L.jpg

672273882_jo4g3-L.jpg

672267828_ditXy-L.jpg

672283135_URMpf-L.jpg

Comments

• cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Very pretty. I like the warm colors. Was the sky really as red as pictured in #3 - it kind of has an "end of the world is coming" feel to it. I like it, it is just that the others are so very peaceful & relaxing.

Stephanie
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    I love them!! Very nice!
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Thank you. that sky is real, it looked that way just a minute or so before the sun peaked out and only lasted for a few secs.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Holy moly what a beautiful sunrise!!! bowdown.gif

Is this the same location as your (totally-awesome-I-showed-it-to-everyone-I-knew) beach shot from Muench University?
    edited October 6, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Holy moly what a beautiful sunrise!!! bowdown.gif

Is this the same location as your (totally-awesome-I-showed-it-to-everyone-I-knew) beach shot from Muench University?

Thanks, schmoo. Wow I'm flattered you remembered my Muench Univ shot. Yes, its the same location-- the only place around here that has a unique shoreline and rocks to break the waves. The rocks are called "coquina" a relative of limestone. I don't go that much as its about an hour and a half drive, which makes for a super early wake up call:D
    edited October 7, 2009
    almost forgot one more.... yeah, my camera didn't like this one too much :)

673738614_TKGm2-L.jpg
  • pjamespjames Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    The flow of water over the rock in the middle of #5 is very cool! Sky too!
    -Pat James
    Pat James Photography
    St. Louis Wedding and Portrait Photographer
    http://www.pat-james.com
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Nice set! Thanks for sharing.

There's a bit of blow-out where the sun shows in at least #3 and #5. It's easier to see in the larger sizes (larger than shown in this thread).

Maybe it's intentional, but if it's not, it might be worth taming those areas a bit. The content isn't completely lost…iPhoto is able to flush it out just working with the JPEG. I would expect more can be done using the RAW (assuming that's how you shot these).

It's not a huge loss, just a subtle thing that I mention only because your original post asked for C&C.

Thanks again for sharing the set.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Some very sweet light and colors in these shots. For me #1 and #3 are the strongest images but I do wish there was more foreground in both of them.

Great location. thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited October 8, 2009
    Thanks aaron and thwack. RE: the blown highlights: I of course did expose both for the land and sky, and in lightroom there were no areas in the sky that showed up as a clipping. sometimes after spending the time sorting and editing the photos I get a little immune to subtleties like that and it helps to have a pair of fresh eyes look. thanks for the critique, I'll see if I can play with them a bit more and recover/tame down the highlights.