Minolta 35-70 on a Sony Alpha

studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited October 6, 2009 in Cameras
Hi,

An old friend of mine is interested in upgrading from his old Minolta camera to a DSLR. I have suggested going for a Sony so that he can still use his 35-70mm Minolta lens. Am I right in thinking that this will autofocus etc. on a Sony body, or will there be some problems? :scratch

Much appreciated

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 6, 2009
    It would appear that there are at least 2 versions, an f4 and an f3.5-f4.5. It would appear that most folks feel the f4 version is the better of the 2.

Regardless they are both good zooms, but I don't know that a single lens would be compelling enough reason to recommend staying in the same system.

Is it possible for your friend to come to the forum and tell us about his photographic needs and wishes?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    It would appear that there are at least 2 versions, an f4 and an f3.5-f4.5. It would appear that most folks feel the f4 version is the better of the 2.

Regardless they are both good zooms, but I don't know that a single lens would be compelling enough reason to recommend staying in the same system.

Is it possible for your friend to come to the forum and tell us about his photographic needs and wishes?

Thanks Ziggy,

I must admit, I agree with you about the lens not being a great reason to constrain one's choice of camera, but he is 70 and he's pretty stuck on the idea I'm afraid. I just wanted to check that the lens would actually be usable on a Sony (probably the 230 as it seems to be the cheapest around).

He would be using it for family shots and vacations etc, he's not a photographer as such, just a casual user if that makes sense.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    It would be usable and AF, etc.

You can find a good condition used A100 for $200 or so on the Dyxum forums - if you keep your eyes open.