Playing with Color Processing and Sepia

kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
edited October 9, 2009 in People
This afternoon the kids and I walked to a nearby park which is surrounded by corn fields. I was inspired by LilMomma's farm shots I guess, and wanted to get a taste of those golden hues for myself. It was late and dark (past 5 I think) so I opened up my aperture in AF mode to 1.8 (some serious bokeh ensued). Anyway, I was just wondering if this close-up is oof or acceptable, and which version you all like more (processed color vs. sepia)? BD, I know the color processing topic was a sour subject in a previous post, but I have been wanting to try this out myself. It is just SOOO fun to play with pictures! Anyway, thanks :)

ISO 100, F/1.8, 1/80 sec. Taken with 50mm prime.

CornKate2_edited-1eyessharper.jpg

Katesepia-1.jpg

Comments

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Yup I've decided it is oof. Don't you hate that when you get a moment you want to capture and it isn't 'just right'! Wonder what settings might have been better for this shot? I posted EXIF above. THANKS!! :) Like I said it was pretty dusky (and overcast day). Obviously handheld, no flash.
  • OobersOobers Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    kidzmom wrote:
    Yup I've decided it is oof. Don't you hate that when you get a moment you want to capture and it isn't 'just right'! Wonder what settings might have been better for this shot? I posted EXIF above. THANKS!! :) Like I said it was pretty dusky (and overcast day). Obviously handheld, no flash.
    I prefer the second one, I think the colour in her eyes works well and I like the overall tone as well the intensity in her stare. Unfortunately the background slices right through her eyes which I find off putting, but otherwise a nice shot.
    Guy
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    oooh i inspired someone! thank you :D

I think maybe, (just maybe), it might have landed on the hair close to the eye...not sure though, and i can't find my darn glasses so its hard to tell. (oh no, I sound old...i'm really not:giggle) That being said, i know with the nikon version of the 50mm 1.8, it's not at it's sharpest wide open. I think 2.8 is it's sharpest point. Not sure how canon functions there..

Anyway, I like the photo a lot though! I think I like the sepia over the color version, although I know what you mean about it being fun to play around with them!

And..very cute little girl!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    LOVE, LOVE the color shot. What do you have for PP? Photoshop? Some of the oof shots can be improved with selective sharpening. If you have PS there are some places online with great, free actions... soo much to learn, not enough hours or energy in a day ( for me!)
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Oh gosh, I can't decide: I like them both in different ways. I get different vibes from each one. Not much help, am I lol! Great pic, though, either way. Her eyes are just piercing!
  • My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I like them both, and it's true, Nikon is not usually super sharp at f1.8 on the 50mm. That is my favorite f stop to use, but man it's hard to get super sharp, hit and miss.

-Melissa
    www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com
    www.naturalphotographydesign.blogspot.com
    edited October 7, 2009
    Thank you everyone for your opinions and input!

Guy, I NEVER saw that in the background but now that you mention it I agree completely. I will need to learn to see that beforehand. Amazing what the little details do!

Melissa. THANK YOU for the input on the F/2.8. I am so anal I went and tried it out today. Of course with a whole new lighting ballgame too. Wasn't the best time of day 10 a.m. and pretty sunny in the field. Anyway, the image was crystal clear.

VaycayMom, MariKrist and My3Sons...I'm so happy to have your opinions :)

Do you like this one better? It is now in clear focus but somehow the sentiment of the other is more captivating... THOUGHTS?
    Kate1_edited-crop_edited-1.jpg

Kate1_edited-4.jpg
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I do think that you nailed the focus on this one more, but the brightly latticed orange and green in the background keeps pulling my eyes away from her and her eyes. Have you thought about black and white? This would be a great candidate for it imo. she has a very interesting expression, her eyes are gorgeous, and though the background is gorgeous as well, this is more about her than the bg. Also, I'm voting for portrait orientation too.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Those first two shots are killer! I like e'm both..can't we have both?

nice~ But yeah, f1.8...50mm...look here

if you were 2 ft. away and using a crop cam; Depth of field is 0.02 ft.
    tom wise
    edited October 8, 2009
    Awesome link Tom!!!! THANKS for that clap.gif MariKris thanks for the input on the b/w version. I agree she does have an intriguing look and I got the focus spot on for once....lol, but I still prefer the first! Those colors were radical out in the cornfields in the morning (10 am.). I was loving how crazy the colors were, but I agree it pulls the eye away from her's.

Tom, You said you liked the first 2 shots. Sooooo it doesn't bother you that it is slightly (or more than sligtly) soft on focus? The first was with F 1.8 at about 1.5 foot away (thus my problem). The 2nd was at F 2.8 about 9 inches away.... But honestly, the 1st shot is okay? I haven't yet used the RAW file on that. These were quickly procecced JPEGS. I'm HOPING I can pull something off with the RAW file. I'm STUNNED at what RAW can do.

Thank you!
    angevin1 wrote:
    Those first two shots are killer! I like e'm both..can't we have both?

nice~ But yeah, f1.8...50mm...look here

if you were 2 ft. away and using a crop cam; Depth of field is 0.02 ft.
    edited October 8, 2009
    Marikris...
    Here it is in BW! :) I also sharpened the eyes in the original post (other photo). I think it helped.. THANKS for the input everybody.

KateBWage3_edited-1-1.jpg
  • JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Hi Kidzmom,

I totally agree that the sentiment is lost in your subsequent photos posted. I really like the original composition and moment. I like the direction you went with the first color processing over the sepia or monochrome. It maybe feels like you tried to do too much and over-did it just a bit. I think the color processing of this particular image can bring a nostalgic feel to it.

There are two particular things that caught my attention immediately:

1. The redness around her eyes makes her look tired or sick. Maybe even a little erie.

2. The hotness on the forehead and hand distracts from where the power of the image lies - in her expression.

I think you're close - just keep working on it!

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    kidzmom wrote:
    Awesome link Tom!!!! THANKS for that clap.gif

Tom, You said you liked the first 2 shots. Sooooo it doesn't bother you that it is slightly (or more than sligtly) soft on focus?
    Thank you!

Not a bit..it makes the shot, or she makes the shot..or what have you~
    tom wise
    edited October 9, 2009
    Awesome to hear. Hey, just wondering what you thought of the edited RAW version. It is much more golden in cast. Thoughts b/w the two? (its in a different post). As always I appreciate you thoughts!! :D
    angevin1 wrote:
    Not a bit..it makes the shot, or she makes the shot..or what have you~