Options

Another Calibration Thread

EdgleyEdgley Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited October 7, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Hi,

I came across here after looking for places talking about calibration; seems to be more real advice here than anywhere else I have found.

I have a Samsung 305T, a Dell 3007WFP, a Spyder2Pro and a desired to get the two looking as close to each other as possible. The Sammy has amazing colour and is my preferred monitor, whilst the Dell can look washed out. When I drag a window over both monitors the Sammy side always looks better.

I found a thread which went into details about the Spyder, one of which was setting the luminance correctly. Previously I had always left that well alone. However, as during the day I work with a window next to a screen with the sunlight pouring in and at night I tend to work in the gloom, with just a high desk lamp and a fish tank.

So using the new option it tells me to set to 85 magic-al units, as opposed to the 200-220 the thread recommend. True, they do look damn dark, but usable and they do look nearer to each other. But not the same, if anything the Sammy has now going slightly yellow and the Dell looks cleaner. The other problem is that all my photographs don't look right.

I am going to run it again on the Sammy and see if I can get the yellow tint out of it, and also run it during the day to see the results.

Not too sure what my questions is out of all this, I suppose does anyone have any tips for getting two monitors balanced :)

Thanks,
Simon

ps.
Mac user.
Nikon, Mac

Comments

• Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I would use software that can synch its calibration for one monitor with the second monitor. The software that comes with your device doesn't do this. The software is rather dated.
    Fortunatey you can purchase Color Eyes Display Pro (for Macs) which will work with your device and synch the monitors. Works great in fact. With that much screen real estate you may as well spend some more money to get your full value.

M
  • Options
    EdgleyEdgley Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Bugger, I had downloaded that software, installed but not used; now the trial has run out. I have contacted them to see if I can get another go at it.

I have re-calibrated this morning in natural light, it wanted settings of around 120 this time. One problem I have noticed is that it seems the only way to change this setting is to run the calibration again, and that takes a long time.

I am tempted by the new 3PRO but if I cannt set luminance manually I am not sure, but the auto adjust might take care of the extremes I work in.
    Nikon, Mac