Metallic Print

RaymondPhotosRaymondPhotos Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited October 19, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I am not sure if this is the best spot for this question to be asked, but how would this photograph look printed on Metallic Paper. I appreciate any opinions and suggestions.

619210543_DU2FY-L.jpg

Thank you.

Comments

• gfw123gfw123 Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I am not sure if this is the best spot for this question to be asked, but how would this photograph look printed on Metallic Paper. I appreciate any opinions and suggestions.

[snip]

Thank you.

Well...........

The answer is always, "it depends on what you are after."

I have only gotten a few photos on the metallic-look paper, so take this with a grain of salt.

I like the look but it really depends on the photo. Some of my black and whites show up pretty good that way, I have a night time city reflection, color, that turned out just OK, perhaps a bit better then glossy; depends on the light I am in. So, for me, I will probably save the metallic stuff for my B&W photos, and then only for certain ones. I don't shoot weddings, but I have a wedding photo of my wedding that turned out very nice in metallic.

However, if you have not gotten any metallic yet, you can ask all you want but until you hold it in your hand and look at it you will never know. :-) So really, you are going to get at least one print anyway, might as well just order it. :-)

I personally would not use the photo above for it however. For me, 'hard' stuff, like buildings, trains and that kind of thing seem to look better in metallic.

Again, please ask around more, I am not a pro and have limited experience with processing in general.

--greg.
  • InstantPicInstantPic Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 8, 2009
    I say go ahead and try it out.
    a 5x7 or an 8x10 wont break the bank and you can see how it looks.
    I just got a bunch of college marching band shots done on metallic, myself and others were very suprised by how well they looked.
    and usually nature shots look even better, though my favorite on metallic is still reddish landscapes (think grand canyon)
  • RaymondPhotosRaymondPhotos Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    Thank you very much to both of you. Your comments were very helpful. I figured it is best for darker/harder photographs, but I went ahead and ordered an 8 x 10 of this photograph on metallic paper. I am waiting for it to be delivered, but I will let you know how it turn out
  • Allen42Allen42 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Thank you very much to both of you. Your comments were very helpful. I figured it is best for darker/harder photographs, but I went ahead and ordered an 8 x 10 of this photograph on metallic paper. I am waiting for it to be delivered, but I will let you know how it turn out

When my customers call and ask, I tell them that metallic is like "super glossy" and it has higher contrast than any of the other options. I generally only recommend it for B&W or digital artwork. Softer portraits, for example, I do not prefer on metallics.

I think the photo above would actually benefit from metallic... it will boost your saturation a bit, and might make the colors pop a little more.
  • nancy622nancy622 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Metalic Paper
    Allen42 wrote:
    When my customers call and ask, I tell them that metallic is like "super glossy" and it has higher contrast than any of the other options. I generally only recommend it for B&W or digital artwork. Softer portraits, for example, I do not prefer on metallics.

I think the photo above would actually benefit from metallic... it will boost your saturation a bit, and might make the colors pop a little more.

Can some one tell me how does a metalic photo comes out im curious to see.
    Nancy Vera
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    nancy622 wrote:
    Order one, it costs a couple bucks with shipping for a 4x6 :)

They are rich in color, shiny, vibrant, almost 3-D like, and many photos lend themselves nicely to it.
  • RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    nancy622 wrote:

Simply put, they need to be seen to be appreciated. Granted, some photos don't really "shine" with the metallic paper. I ordered a few metallic prints with different subject matter (landscape, animals, HDR, etc). My HDR prints look fantastic with the metallic finish. The depth of color does make it look 3D. Flower pictures also look great. Give it a try. I am sure you will be impressed.
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited October 16, 2009
    nancy622 wrote:
    Andy is right - order some and you will see the difference.

I just received my first metallic prints from Bay this week, and I was just blown away by the look and the quality.

--- Denise
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Anyone else have this experience? I got a metallic 16x20" of my son playing soccer and put it in a frame behind glass. Behind glass, the print may as well be lustre or glossy. Maybe it has something to do with where it is hanging in my house (a spot with no direct light), but the metallic effect seems to be lost behind glass. Out of the frame, holding the print in my hand and tilting it back and forth under a light or next to a window, you really see the shimmer of the metallic paper and the effect of it passing through the colors. But once I put it on a wall behind glass, I didn't notice it anymore.

One other caveat is that a metallic print looks kind of strange in a multi-print frame next to non-metallic prints.

I don't think I'd get another metallic print of a person, it's not quite natural. I can imagine how it would be effective for b&w or landscapes/flowers.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • nancy622nancy622 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Order one, it costs a couple bucks with shipping for a 4x6 :)

They are rich in color, shiny, vibrant, almost 3-D like, and many photos lend themselves nicely to it.

OK I WILL ORDER ONE THANKS
    Nancy Vera