Options

Learned as lesson....

mntentmanmntentman Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited October 7, 2009 in Sports
I posted some soccer pics recently, and mentioned I was new at shooting soccer. It's been fun shooting my son's JV team... the games are during the day, on a (pretty) small field, no one cares if you wander around, and the sidelines are pretty open. I have been relatively happy with my shots.

So for fun I went to a varsity game tonight. HUGE field, the game under lights, cold and rainy. There was a ref always on the side in front of me, ball girls running all along the sidelines, and players almost bowling me over as they ran up and down warming up.

Of course I couldn't shoot at 100 or 200 ISO, and of course I couldn't use a 1/1000 or 1/2000 shutter speed at f2.8. And my 70-200 (even using my crop sensor camera) was woely inadequate the vast majority of the time.

I think I might have gotten a few shots worth keeping, still going through them. But it was one heck of a challenge.

Comments

• Options
    DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Yes night time is a whole new ball game.
  • Options
    DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I see you were shooting at Maple Grove, one of schools I cover. Tough place to shoot at night, lighting is not real great, especially in the corners.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    mntentmanmntentman Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Dbl wrote:
    I see you were shooting at Maple Grove, one of schools I cover. Tough place to shoot at night, lighting is not real great, especially in the corners.

Wow, Dan, I guess my cover is blown! Were you there or just saw my gallery? Who do you shoot for?

(Probably didn't help that, besides the lights, I was distracted by listening to the Twins game and taking texts every two minutes from my daughter, who is rabid fan...)