Opinions PLEASE: Not Sure on This Processing

My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited October 8, 2009 in People
This was shot in raw, using natural light and 1 SB600 speedlight attatched to camera and bounced off of ceiling. I'm having a crazy time with the processing on this one. It is not available for my client to view yet, as I am still editing the many images from the session. Please share your opinions on the processing of this image, and what I should do to improve it! I think it seems a little hot in some areas still. How are the skin tones/colors?

673041487_hW42A-XL.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Melissa
www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com
www.naturalphotographydesign.blogspot.com

Comments

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I love his expression (or her's)! CUTE shot! I think that the focus is more on the bucket though and thus the baby image is a bit soft (ie the eyes). I think it works for this picture though. The skin colors are also a soft too but it definately goes with the whole cute-babyness of the shot! I like it thumb.gif I hope others have more "useful" input for you :)
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    kidzmom wrote:
    I love his expression (or her's)! CUTE shot! I think that the focus is more on the bucket though and thus the baby image is a bit soft (ie the eyes). I think it works for this picture though. The skin colors are also a soft too but it definately goes with the whole cute-babyness of the shot! I like it thumb.gif I hope others have more "useful" input for you :)

It's hard to tell at this size, but I think Kidzmom is dead on with her assessment, IMO. The pose and desaturated look are great (I like a lot), but I'm aware that kiddo's face and eyes aren't as sharp as the bucket itself - this may be fine in a larger image, but here, they definitely look like they're starting to face out of the sharpest points of focus. Also, I'm wondering if perhaps you could tone down the specular highlight on the lh side of the bucket? It grabs my eye, particularly as the lighting is very soft and even everywhere else in the image.

HTH!
  • My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    It's hard to tell at this size, but I think Kidzmom is dead on with her assessment, IMO. The pose and desaturated look are great (I like a lot), but I'm aware that kiddo's face and eyes aren't as sharp as the bucket itself - this may be fine in a larger image, but here, they definitely look like they're starting to face out of the sharpest points of focus. Also, I'm wondering if perhaps you could tone down the specular highlight on the lh side of the bucket? It grabs my eye, particularly as the lighting is very soft and even everywhere else in the image.

HTH!

Good point on toning down that bright spot... I didn't think about that.
    edited October 7, 2009
    Looks like you 2 are right on the focus... I think it's right on the piece of hardware where the handle attatches- that's crappy. I was shooting wide open on f1.8 with the focusing point on the eyes. Maybe he moved right as I was taking the shot- I don't know. Any way to sharpen those eyes a little more? Maybe a selection and then sharpening that selection? Or maybe a levels adjustment on the selection/eyes?

673275123_BaZi5-XL.jpg

I have other images in this set, that he is smiling in, all with a hand towel over the edge and little rubber duckie by the bucket... so back to the original question: processing ok? Sounds like maybe it's going to work.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Just a quick stab, I copied the image, ran the CS unsharp mask (filter->sharpen->unsharp...) at 140%, 2.7 radius and 0 threshhold, and masked it ot only hit the eyes. Looking back, its a bit heavy, but you can play with it as you like.

baby.jpg
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited October 7, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Just a quick stab, I copied the image, ran the CS unsharp mask (filter->sharpen->unsharp...) at 140%, 2.7 radius and 0 threshhold, and masked it ot only hit the eyes. Looking back, its a bit heavy, but you can play with it as you like.

will try that... thanks.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I agree, sharpen the eyes, also healing brush on the rash/scrapes on the cheek and chest. Clone out the knots in the wood fence in the bg on the left. Otherwise it's a winner.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited October 7, 2009
    I agree, sharpen the eyes, also healing brush on the rash/scrapes on the cheek and chest. Clone out the knots in the wood fence in the bg on the left. Otherwise it's a winner.

I'm good with keeping the knots in the wood, but the scrapes are gonna go... I've already done that on the other pictures I've edited from this shoot. Thanks for reminding me!
    edited October 7, 2009
    Edited Version
    673454343_TZYY5-XL.jpg

Better? I followed almost all of your wonderful tips. Thanks guys!

-Melissa
    www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Yep, the eyes look better in the edited version. Very cute!

Caroline
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    a tad too pink for my taste, according to my monitor, but then again I live in AZ, here you are either white, dark brown or bright red !
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700