Options

Resizing yearbook photo

KMWKMW Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
edited October 8, 2009 in Finishing School
This is the first time I have sold a digital file for the yearbook. Could someone please tell me the best way to resize a photo for a yearbook without losing quality? He needs the crop to fit 2.25 x 2.75. He will be downloading a digital copy of the photo to get prints locally to meet his deadline. He needs this for tomorrow. I use photoshop elements. Please help.

Thanks,
Kath
Nikon D80
18-135mm 3.5-5.6
50mm 1.4
SB600

Comments

• Options
    EnitsuguaEnitsugua Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    KMW wrote:
    This is the first time I have sold a digital file for the yearbook. Could someone please tell me the best way to resize a photo for a yearbook without losing quality? He needs the crop to fit 2.25 x 2.75. He will be downloading a digital copy of the photo to get prints locally to meet his deadline. He needs this for tomorrow. I use photoshop elements. Please help.

Thanks,
    Kath

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331327.html

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselementslessons/ss/sizepractice.-UEh.htm
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2009
    Glazener wrote:

Thank you for the links. I resized the photo and I hope I did this correctly.

I changed the document size to 4x6 (approx) and then cropped the image to 2.25 x 2.75 @ 300ppi. Now the pixel dimensions are 675 x 825. Is this the best quality for a print this size? I want him to have the best quality for the yearbook but limit the print size for reprints to no larger than 4x6 or 5x7.

Thanks for your help.

Kath
    Nikon D80
    18-135mm 3.5-5.6
    50mm 1.4
    SB600
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    KMW wrote:
    Thank you for the links. I resized the photo and I hope I did this correctly.

I changed the document size to 4x6 (approx) and then cropped the image to 2.25 x 2.75 @ 300ppi. Now the pixel dimensions are 675 x 825. Is this the best quality for a print this size? I want him to have the best quality for the yearbook but limit the print size for reprints to no larger than 4x6 or 5x7.

Thanks for your help.

Kath

Could someone please tell me if these dimensions are too small for quality print?

Thanks
    Nikon D80
    18-135mm 3.5-5.6
    50mm 1.4
    SB600
  • Options
    Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    What I would do if I were you.

Step 1. Open photoshop ( then set the image mode to cmyk ( if your going to print it out ) other wise leave it as 72.
    Step 2. Open your original unedited photo.
    Step 3. Press & hold down the alt while hitting the letters ii Alt II, Change the image size to 6 x 4 ( make sure it's in inches ) Or what ever you need.
    Step 5. bump the res up to 300.
    Step 6. Make sure you have everything you wanted before saving.

Then crop if need be and all your other adjustments. This should fix everything for you.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    What I would do if I were you.

Step 1. Open photoshop ( then set the image mode to cmyk ( if your going to print it out ) other wise leave it as 72.
    Step 2. Open your original unedited photo.
    Step 3. Press & hold down the alt while hitting the letters ii Alt II, Change the image size to 6 x 4 ( make sure it's in inches ) Or what ever you need.
    Step 5. bump the res up to 300.
    Step 6. Make sure you have everything you wanted before saving.

Then crop if need be and all your other adjustments. This should fix everything for you.

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I have Photoshop Elements which does not have CMYK. I think I may need the Professional version soon.

I tried something else. I think it works but I hope the quality does not degrade if it is scanned for the yearbook.

First, I created a new 4x6 file with white background and set to 300ppi. Then I resized the original to 1200x1800 (resampled image) and cropped to 2.25 x 2.75. I dragged it on top of the 4x6 file and used free transform to fit. Now the 2.25 x 2.75 is on a 4x6 sheet. Now the image is a 473.8km file.

Is there another way to do this without sacrificing quality? I know resample is probably not the best idea but it was the only way I could type 1200x1800.

I printed a test print. It looks good but it seems too small to scan. How do other photographers handle this? This is the first time a Senior has needed a digital copy. Other seniors have only needed wallets or 4x6 for the yearbook.

Please help.

Thanks,
    Kath
    Nikon D80
    18-135mm 3.5-5.6
    50mm 1.4
    SB600
  • Options
    Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Only way I know of, is to buy adobe photoshop cs4. If you go to adobe.com and go to downloads, you can down load a full working cs4 for 30 day's.

And there is no other way to do this unless you have a very good image editing program to keep the image from degrading.