Options

Am I losing my mind, or what?

lookituplookitup Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited October 21, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm feeling very violated. I shoot polo and heard through the grapevine the other day that one of the players said that I should be paying him to take his photos. I let that comment go.

However, today I learned that he is bragging that he can get any photos he wants from my site here (and I have all photos right-click protected and watermarked). Does anyone know how he is doing this?

I moved my photos specifically to SmugMug for this reason (the script I wrote at the old site wasn't cutting it). Right now, I'm having to go through every photo with him in it and with Paint Shop Pro (I know...not very technical) I'm pasting a daffodil over his face.

Bottom line is how is he getting away with this???

Thanks,
Susan

www.talbotphotoart.com

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    simple.....if you can see it you can steal it.....you can screen print or retrieve from the temp files...are your photos watermarked.....if not do so.....I do believe there is a SM watermark in your control panel....I believe it is a simple "PROOF" that you have the options of placement.....I like huge obnoxious in your face colors for my watermark.....others do not like that kind of watermark.....watermarking is the best security and the harder you make it for a theif to remove (clone out) the watermark the better....some people use their web address for a watermark that way it is sorta like getting free advertising.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    This is what I do:
    525931311_T67jM-M-1.jpg
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    As mentioned above, if they can see it, they can grab it. It might have your watermark on it, but that still won't stop some people. I am positive that people steal my pics, but I know I can't stop everyone. For those that really do bother me, I just don't post their photos. I do save them and if they ask, I print a proof and show it to them and then take their order. Having said that, I really need to work on my watermark, mine definitely needs improvement.
  • Options
    lookituplookitup Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Thanks so much for the feedback
    It kind of sucks to not shoot someone playing polo especially because it's such a contact sport, and although I cried a little when I learned what he was doing, a LMAO on each photo where I pasted a daffodil over his face. Can't post any of the matches on my site here yet; I'm staying at the farm and am on dial-up :( but I've had a good time putting a couple of them on Facebook. :ivar

Thanks again all...
    As mentioned above, if they can see it, they can grab it. It might have your watermark on it, but that still won't stop some people. I am positive that people steal my pics, but I know I can't stop everyone. For those that really do bother me, I just don't post their photos. I do save them and if they ask, I print a proof and show it to them and then take their order. Having said that, I really need to work on my watermark, mine definitely needs improvement.
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    If you're willing to put some time and possibly money into it, watch any websites he might put them up on. Send a DMCA takedown (if you're in the U.S. or he is), and warn that if he steals any of your images in the future, you'll take him to court. Be sure you've registered your images with the copyright office of whatever country you're in.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Limiting your largest size and watermarking will deter theft, but nothing will ever stop it. If he's satisfied with a crappy stolen print of your shot, let him have it as he was never going to be a customer anyways. There's a lot of people that think their ink jet printer with "photo" paper can make a print just as good as one on metallic paper through Bay Photo. rolleyes1.gif You can't convince these people, so just let them live in their bubble.

I deal with a lot of these type of people all the time. They have better cameras than me, better lenses, and more free time. And yet my images are better than theirs. It dumbfounds them. And they still think my images aren't worth paying for.

They're not willing to pay for my print, yet still ask me how I shot it. I explain my shot in high-level photog jargon and then look at their embarrassed expression because they can't understand. They usually say thank you, and then walk away realizing that I am worth what I charge.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!