Options

Can I Vent?

Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
edited October 8, 2009 in Weddings
Very quickly here's the scenario. Circa summer '09....June to be exact.

OFFERED to do some engagements for a very nice couple. NO strings attached whatsoever.....just wanted some more material for personal reasons.....and they knew this hook, line, and sinker. They stated, through their own initiated conversation, that they would certainly consider hiring me for their wedding. Well, several days after getting their engagement CD, they asked me. I was delightfully humbled and agreed. Several weeks....if not months....went by and nothing......nada....nunca. I finally asked point blank if they were still considering my services BECAUSE I HAD AN OFFER ON THE SAME DATE!!! (that's me YELLING! :D) Guess what they said...."Oh yes, absolutely!" Weeeeelllllll, that was 4-5 weeks ago. No contact....no emails....NOTHING! Wedding is NOV 7th! We haven't talked (and they NEVER asked) about prices, lodging (mountain wedding about 3.5hrs from me) contracts....N O T H I N G !! !!

I could kick myself, as you guys will probably want to join in on the bashing as well, for not "doing the deal" from day one. They made it perfectly clear however that I was their choice....period....end of story.

Not so much asking for advice but definately wanting to offer some.

GET A CONTRACT!! UP-FRONT!! ZERO EXCEPTIONS!!

....carry on. :cry

Comments

• Options
    DustinFinnDustinFinn Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    GET A CONTRACT!! UP-FRONT!! ZERO EXCEPTIONS!!

....carry on. :cry

I'd like to change that to:

Get a contract and your retainer fee cashed, otherwise, dates are still available.

Sorry to hear your troubles. Contracts and cash is what makes my pencil'd dates turn to dates written in ink.

For the record, you should really, really just start sending the package and its costs, otherwise you're going to be expected to pay for that lodging yourself...
    People:> www.DustinFinnPhotography.com
    Nature, Places and things :> www.DustinFinn.com
    Random Upload www.Flickr.com/photos/DustinFinn
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    DustinFinn wrote:
    I'd like to change that to:

Get a contract and your retainer fee cashed, otherwise, dates are still available.

Sorry to hear your troubles. Contracts and cash is what makes my pencil'd dates turn to dates written in ink.

For the record, you should really, really just start sending the package and its costs, otherwise you're going to be expected to pay for that lodging yourself...

I would GLADLY pay for the lodging.....if I knew I needed to be at the wedding! :Drolleyes1.gif

All I can do at this point is laugh. ....and drink a cold one. rolleyes1.gif

....and I'm assuming by the number of views to this thread that most everyone manages to not get themselves into this situation. Lesson learned, I assure you. thumb.gif
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    ....and I'm assuming by the number of views to this thread that most everyone manages to not get themselves into this situation. Lesson learned, I assure you. thumb.gif

Actually, I'll be willing to bet most of us have been in your situation... once. :D No shame in making a mistake one time. It's when you don't learn from that mistake that it really becomes painful.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Well not really... but almost. We all learn our lesson at some point.

At this point, if it were me, I would contact the b & g and let them know that you have another person interested in the day. Tell them if they still really want you to shoot it, they need to get the contract + retainer fee in by the end of the week or you will pursue the other client. Don't be grumpy about it, just firm. Let them know you are a business person and act accordingly.
  • Options
    happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    What are you going to charge them for your services.

I would contact them, let them know someone else is seeking your services for the same date and that in order to reserve the date for them, you need a deposit equal to at least 50% of your fee. Schedule a time to meet and put a contract together. 11/7 is in 4 or 5 weeks, you still have time to "fix" this.
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Contact them again, and cheerfully let them know that a contract is ready for them to sign so you can officially reserve that date for them. Collect a retainer. Some photographers collect 50%, mine is about 30%. I also require the final payment at least a week in advance of the wedding. It's not too late to insist on a contract. If they don't sign, contact the other interested couple and let them know that date has opened up, lucky them, just in case thy haven't booked with someone else already.

Caroline
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    dogwood wrote:
    Actually, I'll be willing to bet most of us have been in your situation... once. :D No shame in making a mistake one time. It's when you don't learn from that mistake that it really becomes painful.

+1 rolleyes1.gif been there, done that. My advice. Set yourself a deadline, NO MATTER how nice they are. If they don't sign, their loss. It's a long drive for you ... I did the same thing for a super beautiful venue once ... and guess what ... the wedding WAS fun (they did end up going with me), but boy was that some hard work to get any papers signed from them / cash any checks ... been there, done that. Not worth all the pain + there are more than enough nice couples out there that are just waiting to hire you thumb.gif
  • Options
    entropy07entropy07 Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I totally get you - I've been there / am sort of in / a situation like that myself. Tell them there's another offer and if they need to book you they need to send in the contract w/retainer. If they don't do it, move on, as much as it sucks, sometimes you have to protect yourself by working for people who WANT to work with you, because that would make your life a lot less miserable!
    Nikon D700, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8, SB-900
    Site
    Blog
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    IW, you just need to call them and tell them it is time to set up a contract appointment, and start suggesting dates... like tomorrow for instance. If they won't set a date ask them again if they are planning on using you as their photographer, then ask them flat out why they haven't signed a contract with you yet. Do they seem like they can afford it?

Maybe they don't understand how this is supposed to work, maybe they are having some financial problems. Talk about your payment options... do you take credit cards? You can set up a moble credit card machine for about $15 per month plus a point or two on transactions. Mine has helped me close deals and get retainers on the spot since I've had it. It works out well. Maybe you can work whatever it is out for them and get some ink and $. If you don't figure out their objection then you can't overcome it right?

Be nice, don't seem desperate, don't make them feel like they have done something stupid or that they are screwing you... simply say "Now is the time to sign our contract". If they don't want to do it and won't give you a "why" then tell them you are unable to reserve the date for them, and call the other client on a long shot.

Before becoming a photographer I was a salesman. I spent over 20 years as a salesman actually, and now I sell myself as a photographer. Here is how I do a basic contract meeting.

When I sit down with a potential client at a contract meeting, I do things in this order:
    1. small talk about wedding, their jobs, football etc.
    2. go through their questions
    3. show portfolio
    4. Talk about your package prices, includes, options, and pricing policies. Be sure to mention that you need a check and a contract to reserve the date. "As soon as we have a signed agreement and a retainer that date is yours!"
    5. then go through the contract with them on the spot. Don't ever just give them a copy to take home and review. Go through it summarizing and explaining each paragraph but skip over the financial "fill in the blank" part. Put a copy in front of them and one if front of you.

6. When you get to the end of the contract explanation, ask them if they want to "plug the numbers in". Assuming yes, then ask "Which package do you think you are interested in?" "What options do you think you will want?" Have them fill it out on their copy as you go through it and you fill out your copy. Now they are talking about it and making buying decisions. You basically have them going through the motions of signing a contract at this point. Fill out the numbers on the contract, and when you get to the end, ask them if they want to "go ahead and reserve the date".

At this point they already said yes to looking at all the numbers and wrote them on the contract themselves, they understand in order to reserve the date they need to pay you, and they picked a package, so now they just need to reserve the date! Note we are not saying sign the contract, or hire me, or asking for money at this point... we are saying "Reserve the date". "OK, just sign here!"

7. After they say yes, you put x's where the signatures go, and they sign both copies. Then ask them if they want to pay with a check or CC and take their money. Ask for ink and then for money.

If this last part doesn't work, find out the objection, address it, and try again. I personally won't beat anyone up for too long this way and will let them take the contract home and touch base with them in a few days. Always follow up though. That is the key to getting the ones that don't sign during the initial meeting. Also, it goes without saying that if you don't impress the people in the first part of the meeting, you probably won't get the ink.

my $.02
    Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes