Reservations

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited October 8, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Just a few photos I've taken while driving through some Indian Reservations.

This one was taken at an empty gas station on the Crow Creek Reservation in SD.

673778103_U7nqM-M.jpg

Sully's Hill National Game Preserve - Spirit Lake Indian Reservation, ND -- Strange to find this on reservation land, but info can be read here.

673778062_uhbth-M.jpg

Pony on RoseBud in SD. There were some beautiful horse's there.

673777988_hLVWg-M.jpg

More photos from the Reservations I've visited can be seen on my site.

Comments

• Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:

Pony on RoseBud in SD. There were some beautiful horse's there.

673777988_hLVWg-M.jpg

More photos from the Reservations I've visited can be seen on my site.

What a beautiful shot. I love the blue roan coat!
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    There 3rd one is a very nice working image. thumb.gif The first 2... well... shoot...
    Can I pass on those? :D
    Michael
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    #1 is a good PJ sort of shot in a larger series. There's an implication of tagging/gang mentality on the reservation. The bit of grass OOF in the foreground is a bit bothersome.

#2 doesn't do anything for me.

#3. Totally love this shot!! clap.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Sexy6Chick wrote:
    What a beautiful shot. I love the blue roan coat!

This horse was so pretty that I finally had to put my camera down and just watch it. Graceful -- it walked so softly.

Thanks for taking a look and I'm glad you liked the horse. I more photos of it on my site.
    edited October 8, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    There 3rd one is a very nice working image. thumb.gif The first 2... well... shoot...
    Can I pass on those? :D

Yeah you can pass on the first two -- no problem rolleyes1.gif Although the first one has a story. While we have garbage cans or a larger garbage can that the trucks can pick up to dump -- all the homes on the reservation have these large dumpsters which I found kind of strange. They must pick up the garbage once a month. As for the buffalo....I seem to always get the back-end shot :cry

The 3rd -- that horse was a beauty. My photo doesn't do it justice as it was an overcast day with lighting that was really weird...bright but dull outside. If that makes any sense headscratch.gif

Thank you DaddyO for commenting -- it makes me see the first two photos differently - which is good :D
    edited October 8, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    #1 is a good PJ sort of shot in a larger series. There's an implication of tagging/gang mentality on the reservation. The bit of grass OOF in the foreground is a bit bothersome.

#2 doesn't do anything for me.

#3. Totally love this shot!! clap.gif

Hi Andrew :D

Gangs are an issue on the reservations now. Read an article a few weeks ago about gangs moving onto the reservations to recruit and also start up meth labs. Guess the time in jail is a lot less on the reservation if caught. The building sitting next to this empty dumpster/gas station was a hotel....other things were going on outside there that I need not mention. I was hoping to stay there and spend my evening taking photos, but I drove on.

The buffalo....I must be the only one that likes that photo rolleyes1.gif

I'm glad you liked the horse photo -- the pony's as they call them are beautiful on the reservation. If your lucky to come upon them while driving through its worth a stop to just watch them.

Thank you for your comments Andrew :D
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    The buffalo....I must be the only one that likes that photo rolleyes1.gif

Guess I haven't seen enough buffalo from that end to appreciate a good shot (or have even known it was a buffalo). rolleyes1.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Hey Mary,

I'm with Michael on the first two...

The horse image: Just perfect thumb.gif

The ears are up, head pulled around to profile, lighting looks like a giant softbox was used, background bokeh & perfect complimentary color for the horse & nice framing.

You really should be happy with your effort on this image.
    Randy
    edited October 8, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Guess I haven't seen enough buffalo from that end to appreciate a good shot (or have even known it was a buffalo). rolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited October 8, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Hey Mary,

I'm with Michael on the first two...

The horse image: Just perfect thumb.gif

The ears are up, head pulled around to profile, lighting looks like a giant softbox was used, background bokeh & perfect complimentary color for the horse & nice framing.

You really should be happy with your effort on this image.

Hi Randy,

I am happy with that image of the horse. All the while I was taking photos I was hoping for just one to turn out and lucked out with a few extra's too.

Your all right about the other two -- I love learning thumb.gif
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Hi Mary..... The horse picture is a perfect 10..... As for the buffalo shot... I LIKE IT..I would never have thought of shooting from that direction...rolleyes1.gif

WELL DONE MARY..... azzaro
    edited October 8, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi Mary..... The horse picture is a perfect 10..... As for the buffalo shot... I LIKE IT..I would never have thought of shooting from that direction...rolleyes1.gif

WELL DONE MARY..... azzaro

Hi Azzaro --

Thank you for the nice comment on the horse photo :D I close my eyes and I can still see it dancing in the field. So much energy.

You like the buffalo clap.gif Yeah!!!!!! As for the shooting direction - I figured if it's going to walk away from me I'm going to take what ever it was going to give me rolleyes1.gif
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Howdy Mary Kim,

Really interesting images, all 3 of them.

I liked the story and the desolation of the first shot.

The Second shot is a great example of the South end,
    of a North Bound Buffalo rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif Sorry, I just couldn't help it!!!

The 3rd shot is just Stunning, the feel this ones gives off is immediate, and the lighting and composition is just perfect, I have to say this is one of the best images I think you've shared with Us.

Very nicely done, looked like a very rewarding outing.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited October 8, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Mary Kim,

Really interesting images, all 3 of them.

I liked the story and the desolation of the first shot.

The Second shot is a great example of the South end,
    of a North Bound Buffalo rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif Sorry, I just couldn't help it!!!

The 3rd shot is just Stunning, the feel this ones gives off is immediate, and the lighting and composition is just perfect, I have to say this is one of the best images I think you've shared with Us.

Very nicely done, looked like a very rewarding outing.

Hi Craig --

South end of a north bound buffalo -- that's a good one rolleyes1.gif

I'm happy you like the horse photo. Wish I could say I threw in a good photo to let you all know I can take photos rolleyes1.gif but, I wasn't to sure about that one because of the background. Thought it might be to light. Shows how much I still need to learn.

That outing was taken last summer and it was soooo much fun. I love driving through the reservations. The vastness empties the mind of everything other then what it's taking in at the moment. If you ever have a chance to drive through one you'll enjoy it.

Thanks Craig for the nice comments and I'm happy your enjoyed the photos :D
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    I most certainly respect modesty Mary Kim. I personally don't have any but
    I'm glad you do. wings.gif

Randy is most correct about the light. It gave shot 3 the high over all nice light it has and that you captured so very well. thumb.gif:D

Give yourself some credit for your efforts and triumphs. It ok. Really. ;-)

Last thing. I enjoyed your story line behind the shots. Not that whats true is savory. It just is.
    Michael
    edited October 8, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    I most certainly respect modesty Mary Kim. I personally don't have any but
    I'm glad you do. wings.gif

Randy is most correct about the light. It gave shot 3 the high over all nice light it has and that you captured so very well. thumb.gif:D

Give yourself some credit for your efforts and triumphs. It ok. Really. ;-)

Last thing. I enjoyed your story line behind the shots. Not that whats true is savory. It just is.

DaddyO --- Thank you for your very kind words :D