Old lenses on new cameras

EmmettEmmett Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited October 8, 2009 in Cameras
I'm a sucker for a new bit of gear and as a new convert to Canon was looking for a decent 1:1 Macro lens. Then it occurred to me that I already have an old lens that I've used on my FM2n with great results. So a few minutes on ebay later and an ADII adapter was on it's way to me for my Tamron SP90. Total cost £10.50 delivered. A lack of autofocus isn't really a problem with macro, for me anyway. I've always been impressed with the sharpness of this lens for macro and portrait work and it works just fine on my 5D2. It's not very pretty, I'll admit, but I don't think the snail minded!

IMG_2449.jpg

There is a lot of good quality old lenses out there for small money secondhand has anyone else had some success with old glass on new cameras?

With the money I've saved I may just treat myself to that 15mm fisheye I want but don't need!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 8, 2009
    Emmett wrote:
    ... There is a lot of good quality old lenses out there for small money secondhand has anyone else had some success with old glass on new cameras?

With the money I've saved I may just treat myself to that 15mm fisheye I want but don't need!

Congratulations on the new use for the old lens. clap.gif

I have 2 Pentax/Universal/M42 adapters and I use a variety of old glass on my Canon bodies. The most recent is the Tamron 500mm, f8 SP (55BB) (catadioptric, aka "cat" mirror lens) with the Tamron Adaptall mount. I use an Adaptall/m42 adapter and then the m42/EOS to mount that lens on my Canon cameras.

My favorite old lens is the Pentax 50mm, f1.4 SMC. Just gorgeous contrast and color. Sadly I don't use it too much since getting the EF 50mm, f1.4 USM.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • CatharsisCatharsis Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 8, 2009
    Actually I only have a few AF lenses and about a dozen Manual f-mount lenses. I am actually faster with a couple of the manual lenses, manually preseting the camera for conditions. Admittedly going manual has made my Photography very different.