Options

Waiting For The Sale

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited October 9, 2009 in Street and Documentary
674336441_k6mZY-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    He has 3 legs!!!! eek7.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    You sharp-eyed devil you. I kept telling him to tuck that ancillary leg back out of view. Crazy artist....you know how they are. He claimed he'd have a leg up on customers when it came to haggling over price.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Oh i thought he is wearing two colored jeans...

Nice photo of art shop mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    You sharp-eyed devil you. I kept telling him to tuck that ancillary leg back out of view. Crazy artist....you know how they are. He claimed he'd have a leg up on customers when it came to haggling over price.

Tom

And he has a pink flamingo in the yard (three feet = a yard... get it? never mind...).

Actually, the intriguing thing for me is whether that is a self portrait. And which of them is eating the pizza.

And, BTW, I do like the photo. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    It is a cool shot.
    I just noticed the full name of the business, "Naughty History" Special T Tours....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009

Nice. But just suppose, just suppose...that you had move to the right, positioned yourself to the left of the blue painting of the 'guy,' and then shot with a wide angle, with the guy painting , then the artist from the front, and everything else behind him.... Just suppose....rolleyes1.gif Like this...
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    Hey rainbow,

You're no slouch at observation yourself. That artist did have a mustache, and now that you raise the issue, I'll bet that it is indeed a self portrait.

Tom
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    Hi B.D.,

I see merit in your suggestion. But then I'd have had to come up with another title....something like " Artist at Work " . Seriously, though, I do seek to decipher the deeper lesson sometimes hidden in your comments.

When you take the time to respond as you have, you can bet I pay attention. As I see it, you're telling me to explore my options; to consider different perspectives and angles, to look for ways to enhance my story...or even to find a way to tell an even better story. I consider that to be sage advice.

I do like, however, the major elements in this picture...the almost palpable sense of anticipation, or even a tad of despair, as the artist waits. The mystery of the other person is icing on the cake.

Thanks for your consideration and comments,

Tom
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Nice. But just suppose, just suppose...that you had move to the right, positioned yourself to the left of the blue painting of the 'guy,' and then shot with a wide angle, with the guy painting , then the artist from the front, and everything else behind him.... Just suppose....rolleyes1.gif Like this...

That's good photogrpahic advice..but evidently BD will never survive as a painter.eek7.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    I do like, however, the major elements in this picture...the almost palpable sense of anticipation, or even a tad of despair, as the artist waits. The mystery of the other person is icing on the cake.

Thanks for your consideration and comments,

Tom

I don't get a sense of anticipation or despair. The Artist's body language is much too relaxed for those emotions. As it is right now, all I see is a nice snapshot of an art gallery at an oblique angle. The one point of interest for me is the Artist next to his SP. What I probably would have done would be to have moved a couple of steps to the right and a little closer to catch his face in profile with the SP on right of the frame.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    I get the guy's paintings more than I get the guy himself. Much more. You want the shot to be about him and not just his paintings. I think that summarizes B.D. and Michswiss' advice.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2009
    michswiss..

rutt..

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's very interesting to see another photographer's take on a scene you have recorded. I appreciate the input.

Tom
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    evidently BD will never survive as a painter.eek7.gif

Well, I don't know - look at some of Picasso's bull fighting stuff! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009

Tom

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Rags