Options

Photographer's Assistant (for a rodeo)

pgaviriapgaviria Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited October 17, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
There is a rodeo in my city this week and I would love to get some nice pictures taken. I called to find out about press passes and they told me only their Rodeo Association photographers are allowed to take pictures. I guess this means even if I pay for a front row ticket and snap some photos with my 300mm, they can take my camera or something?

Well, to save the hassle, I thought maybe I could contact some of the photographers covering the event (and I have a good idea of who they are and their numbers) and ask if they need an assistant in exchange for letting me shoot some photos for my portfolio. Is this something you would agree to? How would propose the idea? I don't even know what they could need me to do as an assistant... I suppose hand them memory cards if they have some with really small capacity lol.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    I'd make the contact and see what they need! It definitely cannot hurt and there's the potential to learn a lot in addition to getting some for your own portfolio.
    //Leah
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    I agree - make a call and explain the situation. The worst that happens is they say no and you're right back where you started. For my part, I don't shoot rodeo, but if someone wanted to be my assistant my answer would depend on their goals. My expectation would be they were my assistant and would only be taking photos themselves when I indicated it was OK to do so (i.e. I want the benefit of an assistant to handle gear exchanges and such)
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    You asked about a press pass as an individual. You got the standard answer I would expect from any event.

I would ask them specifically if there are any restrictions with regard to customers taking personal photos from the stands. Don't guess!

Most events like this don't restrict photos being taken, but they won't grant access to the same areas the official event photographers have access to.

Sam
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    If it is PRCA it is very restricted. Even the PRCA shooters have to wear cowboy boots, long sleeved western shirts, cowboy hats. It's enough of a PITA about the approved shooter-thing that they are off my list, and I'm a pro horse shooter with a high action specialty. Find a non-PRCA rodeo or bull riding event. Preferably outdoors, high action like this indoors is very challenging.

Part of the reason they do it is safety. The approved shooters know where to "be", how not to interfere and how not to get hurt. Personally when I shoot this sort of thing I don't want an assistant, for that reason.

They also get shots from their "approved" shooters for free. And the participants, who so often are on a shoestring themselves aren't buying pix. eek7.gif But it would be cool stuff to have in one's port.
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    they can take my camera or something

They most certainly cannot take your camera. They could, however, ask you to put it away or leave. Call and ask about their policy on photos from the stands.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    They most certainly cannot take your camera. They could, however, ask you to put it away or leave. Call and ask about their policy on photos from the stands.

Depending upon the terms of the ticket, they may be able to refuse you entry. But yeah, they canNOT take your camera.
    //Leah
  • Options
    pgaviriapgaviria Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Thank you for the advice guys! I ended up not asking to assist but showing up to the event and taking pics from my seat. They were very challenging to take with the lens I had. The venue's lighting was rather dim. I noticed they had big strobe mounted on the ceiling that went off when the approved photographers were taking photos. My flash didn't work all that well and I ended up taking most of these photos at high ISO and with no flash.

Anyway, nobody told me anything. The probably knew I wasn't getting the best shots from where I was anyway.