Options

I've got the Media Pass, now what?!?!

KixxKixx Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited October 13, 2009 in Sports
I've been fortunate enough to obtain a media pass for a College Football game this Saturday. What do I do!?!?!

Ok, I kinda sorta know what to do, but, what are DEFINITE "No No's"? My plan was to basically just mimic the guys with better cameras and bigger lenses, while tripping over things and avoiding their giggles. :D

I will be shooting with a Nikon D40 (unless something else falls off the back of a nearby truck soon) and a [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]70-200mm f/2.8 VR, I'm thinking my other lenses don't really matter, yes? It's a 3:30 game, and there is a very slight chance of rain.

I will be reading as much as possible before Saturday, but, I'm wondering if there are any major "do's and don'ts"?

Best settings for my lil Nikon?

Thank you for any assistance!

[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    not as familiar with the ISO limitations of the D40, but go as high as you can without getting too much noise. As for the lens, thumb.gif definitely the one to use.
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    not as familiar with the ISO limitations of the D40, but go as high as you can without getting too much noise. As for the lens, thumb.gif definitely the one to use.

Just wish my buddy would forget he loaned it to me... forever! :)
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    Kixx wrote:
    Just wish my buddy would forget he loaned it to me... forever! :)

well, you could always rent a good body for the game!
    //Leah
  • Options
    kiz5kiz5 Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    A few things...

25-25 yard lines are blocked on both sides. When you're switching sides of the field, walk well behind all of the players, and don't even think about stopping to take a shot. You'll either be kicked out immediately, or they'll write down your name, and find out who got you that credential, and make sure either one of you don't get one again.

Don't bring a monopod.

Stay behind the lines. Depending on the stadium, you might be required to kneel all of the time.

And, have fun.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    kiz5 wrote:
    A few things...

25-25 yard lines are blocked on both sides. When you're switching sides of the field, walk well behind all of the players, and don't even think about stopping to take a shot. You'll either be kicked out immediately, or they'll write down your name, and find out who got you that credential, and make sure either one of you don't get one again.

Don't bring a monopod.

Stay behind the lines. Depending on the stadium, you might be required to kneel all of the time.

And, have fun.

Perfect! Thanks!
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    As for the lens, thumb.gif definitely the one to use.

I respectfuly disagree. I shoot a lot of youth football on full size fields. Most of it is with my 300 2.8 w/1.4 TC, some without the TC.

Very little with my 80-200 2.8.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:
    I respectfuly disagree. I shoot a lot of youth football on full size fields. Most of it is with my 300 2.8 w/1.4 TC, some without the TC.

Well, assuming the OP doesn't have a 300 or 400mm 2.8 (I'm guessing if they did they wouldn't be shooting with a d40) you can still get good shots. BUT you have to be patient. At 200mm you're good for about 25 yards of coverage for sharp photos. That means middle of the field to your sideline - opposite sideline you can forget. It also means with the yardage restrictions on the sidelines you're going to have to be very patient. Instead of trying to take shots of action too far away, use those opportunities to track receivers from middle of field toward you. So, sit on the pass plays. The biggest mistake new sports photogs make is trying to shoot action too far away. My suggestion is to shoot portrait orientation and make sure your subject fills 2/3 of the in-camera frame. Any less and they're too far away or you're not zoomed in enough (with better cameras and the sharper long primes you can get away with smaller subjects but not with a 70-200). If you shoot landscape, make sure the subject fills about 75-80% of the frame. Remember, be patient. You'll have your chances. But you'll end up with a lot of trash trying to shoot action 50 yards away.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:

well, yeah. but compared to the other choices I suspected the OP had, the 2.8 is at least going to be ABLE to get decent shots when close enough.
    //Leah
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    johng wrote:
    Well, assuming the OP doesn't have a 300 or 400mm 2.8 (I'm guessing if they did they wouldn't be shooting with a d40) you can still get good shots. BUT you have to be patient. At 200mm you're good for about 25 yards of coverage for sharp photos. That means middle of the field to your sideline - opposite sideline you can forget. It also means with the yardage restrictions on the sidelines you're going to have to be very patient. Instead of trying to take shots of action too far away, use those opportunities to track receivers from middle of field toward you. So, sit on the pass plays. The biggest mistake new sports photogs make is trying to shoot action too far away. My suggestion is to shoot portrait orientation and make sure your subject fills 2/3 of the in-camera frame. Any less and they're too far away or you're not zoomed in enough (with better cameras and the sharper long primes you can get away with smaller subjects but not with a 70-200). If you shoot landscape, make sure the subject fills about 75-80% of the frame. Remember, be patient. You'll have your chances. But you'll end up with a lot of trash trying to shoot action 50 yards away.

Excellent advice. Works with polo for me. Like he said be patient, I'm guessing they won't like you running with the action
    Rags
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    kiz5 wrote:
    Don't bring a monopod.
    headscratch.gif

Georgia Tech - Miami.

9491301_rM6bM-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2009
    Thanks!
    Thank you all for your comments and advice! I will hopefully post a few when I get home!
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2009
    wxwax wrote:
    headscratch.gif

Georgia Tech - Miami.

...the person isn't using a 300, or anything bigger. They're using a hand-holdable lens.
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    kiz5 wrote:
    ...the person isn't using a 300, or anything bigger. They're using a hand-holdable lens.

I'm guessing it's a 400, 500, or a 600.

Since he is so large, he makes the lens look small.

:D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    kiz5 wrote:
    He's using a monopod. So's the guy in front of him. So do most photogs on the sidelines of football games.

That's why I questioned the "don't" about using monopods. Were you referring only to the original poster's lens, and not making a more general comment about "Do's and Don'ts"?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    wxwax wrote:
    He's using a monopod. So's the guy in front of him. So do most photogs on the sidelines of football games.

That's why I questioned the "don't" about using monopods. Were you referring only to the original poster's lens, and not making a more general comment about "Do's and Don'ts"?

They said they were bringing a 70-200. For that, don't bring a monopod.
  • Options
    SledhedSledhed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    I shoot D1 football, this coming weekend it's Illinois and Indiana.

As others have said you have to stay out of the mid field area, usually between the 25 yard lines. At some stadiums you have to cross to the other end in the first row of the stands, no fans are sitting there, I know Illinois and Indiana both do this. I usually shoot from a kneeling position at the back of the end zones with a 400/2.8 and switch to a 70-200 when the action gets close, you will get cleaner backgrounds from the end zones. Also there is usually a line on the field you have to stay behind.

If I'm shooting at a new school I try to find the school's photographer, introduce myself, tell him who I'm shooting for, and ask him what rules apply to us. I haven't found one yet that wasn't eager to help. I even do this when I shoot MLB games at a new park.

You can use a monopod on your 70-200 if you want too although most do not. Have you thought about renting a longer lens for the game?

Good luck,

Chris
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    Finally
    Finally posted way too many pics!

Here's a few;

4007148869_0f23a24d37.jpg

4007914568_6d69f21b6c.jpg

4007914294_3e067a5438.jpg

4007913894_e9c406a06e.jpg

4007147473_dbebfbaa46.jpg

last, but not least, the winning FG

4007148557_ce8e8d3b51.jpg
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Nice work.... thumb.gif
    Rags
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    Thanks!
    torags wrote:
    Nice work.... thumb.gif

Thank you!!! :)
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Very nice! So how did it go rules-wise? Any tips you can pass along - what worked, what didn't?
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    My first.
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Very nice! So how did it go rules-wise? Any tips you can pass along - what worked, what didn't?
    Thank you! :)

OMG, (I never say that, btw!) it was way beyond cool.

Went into the press entrance at Heinz Field, was relieved that my pass was there, because... well, I just wasn't sure it would be!

Went through the security check. Tagged two bags and my camera. One of the security guys asked, "were you going to go to the field?". I said, "I'd hoped to.", and was ready to be denied, but, instead, he said, "go through the double doors, to the right". So, I walked to the doors, pushed... nothing. Pushed harder, it opened. Phew! :D First thing I saw was a sign that said, "Steelers' Locker Room". :o Then, I walked to the end of the hallway, trying to act like I belonged, and then, walked up the steps on to Heinz Field. wings.gifivar It does always seem greener in person. I asked the first security guy I saw what the 'ground rules' were. He started to tell me, but, he checked with a senior security guard who was walking by. It was pretty simple and easily marked.

25 to 25 is for teams only. Can go up to the white line for college, yellow line for pros. White line is a few feet closer to the playing area. When in the back of the endzone, kneel. I stayed on the Pitt side most of the first half (sun was kinda sorta to my back), but, then moved to the UConn side of the field for the second half. That was better, there were less photographers there, easier to move around, although, it wasn't that crowded. I was pretty conscious of down and distance, BUT, I DID make two boo boos at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarter, as I'd headed for the other end of the field, only to turn around and come right back when the refs moved the ball.

I really wish I'd had more notice and could have rented a second camera and had a little bit larger lens. I missed more than a few shots because I either couldn't change lenses quickly enough, or, the frames per second rate on my D40 just missed some stuff.

I don't know if this answers any questions, or helps at all, but, that's pretty much how it went.

Oh yeah... I was so very glad I had my kneepad thingies from Home Depot! :D