Options

Am I nuts?

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited October 9, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I'm considering upgrading my D300 to a D700, mainly for the low light capability and the brighter viewfinder. Although, being able to use my lenses at their actual focal length is a benefit as well.

You guys have all seen my style of photography. Am I nuts to do this or should I just keep the D300 and save my pennies for an RF system?

Comments

• Options
    JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    I'm considering upgrading my D300 to a D700, mainly for the low light capability and the brighter viewfinder. Although, being able to use my lenses at their actual focal length is a benefit as well.

You guys have all seen my style of photography. Am I nuts to do this or should I just keep the D300 and save my pennies for an RF system?

Michswiss... nope. I don't know your style of photography! ne_nau.gif And I've owned a Nikon for just over 24 hours. :ivar So, I'm pretty sure I'm fully qualified to help recommend your next $3k purchase. thumb.gif

So, I bought a used D300 from a dgrinner... but only because i wasn't ready to unload the cash on the D700 as I'm starting over with Nikon lenses as well. I'm not sure if I care about full-frame... I actually like the extra reach of the crop... but I do know this - for it's low-light capabilities... if money wasn't an object, I would have gone straight to the D700.

I'd be absolutely giddy walking around the city in crappy light with a D700. Yeah, I stepped up from a Canon 30D to a D300... but still... I would have spent the extra dough on the D700 if I had it.
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Rent a D700 and see if you like what you have (on any FX lenses or rent one as well).

You'll either know or not. The moment I looked through a FX view finder I was hooked. a total junkie. :ivar
    //Leah
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    michswiss wrote:

Given your love of low light, you would not be nuts. And being able to use the lenses at their original focal lengths - priceless. Hell, you might even be able to find a used manual focus Nikon 28 1.4, and 85 1.4 - both of which are killer lenses.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm likely to enter a new learning curve very soon. The 85/1.4 has emerged on the want, want, want list, especially on an FX body. I didn't know there was a 28/1.4. Now I want that too. There's magic to be found between 1.4 and 2.8. Does this make me a fanatic?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Does this make me a fanatic?
    Most of us are FANATICS.....in one sense or another rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Personally I never understood the reason all the cam companies came out with crop sensors first......I came to this from shooting 35mm and Medium Format and complained everytime I looked into a viewfinder and pressed the shutter release............. I still have not mastered the inviewfinder cropping of portraits and such I leave extra room for cropping in PS, but when I grab my 35 or 6x6 or 6 x 4.5 cams I can get exactly what I want in cam on film.........but for wildlife and landscapes the crop sensor is a blessing.......so in the future I do see a FF cam for me and longer glass to get what I now see in a cropped viewfinder...............

DO NO YOUR NOT NUTS........GO FOR IT!!!!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Am I nuts to do this or should I just keep the D300 and save my pennies for an RF system?

Well, yes, you are nutz... but that's another story..

I have both a DX & FX. I tried the crop function on my D700 and found it lacking.

I did some elemental math for mm reach. I got rid of a 200/400 f4 for a 300 2.8 + 1.4X. My 300 + D90 is less weight & size for almost the same reach - add a 1.4 and I have more reach - all more carriable (a new word).

But for low light the D700 excels. It may open a whole new area for you

I wouldn't sell the 300 so quickly if you do get the D700. The flexibility of two cams is very nice.
    Rags