Software for ".MOV video

RoytpRoytp Big grinsRegistered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited November 2, 2009 in Video
HI
Does anyone use a 5DMKII video.

What software do you use to edit it please?
Thank you
Roy Palmer - Digital Images
http://www.digital-images.org.uk/

Comments

  • MooseKillerMooseKiller Big grins Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    .MOV is a QuickTime extension. Final Cut Pro/Express would do the trick, assuming you are using a Mac.
  • DavidTODavidTO Mod Emeritus Thousand Oaks, CARegistered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    You can't edit 5DMKII files directly in FCP. I use MPEG Streamclip to convert to ProRes files first.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • MooseKillerMooseKiller Big grins Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    You can't edit 5DMKII files directly in FCP. I use MPEG Streamclip to convert to ProRes files first.

    Ahhh, this grasshopper still has much to learn. I have neither FCP nor a 5DMKII, so I appreciate the clarification! thumb.gif
  • BenA2BenA2 Major grins Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    You can't edit 5DMKII files directly in FCP. I use MPEG Streamclip to convert to ProRes files first.

    David, could you elaborate on this? Or, perhaps, point me to where you've elaborated elsewhere. Why did you choose ProRes as your intermediate format? Are there any particular parameters you set to optimize for editing? Where did you find ProRes as an option in MPEG Streamclip? I can't locate it as an exportable format.

    I have had some success using MPEG Streamclip to convert 7D files to Motion JPEG AVIs for editing. I'm just trying to see if there's something even better out there.

    Thanks
  • DavidTODavidTO Mod Emeritus Thousand Oaks, CARegistered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    BenA2 wrote:
    David, could you elaborate on this? Or, perhaps, point me to where you've elaborated elsewhere. Why did you choose ProRes as your intermediate format? Are there any particular parameters you set to optimize for editing? Where did you find ProRes as an option in MPEG Streamclip? I can't locate it as an exportable format.

    I have had some success using MPEG Streamclip to convert 7D files to Motion JPEG AVIs for editing. I'm just trying to see if there's something even better out there.

    Thanks


    I spend all day editing for a living, but don't ask me to explain codecs!!! lol3.gif

    Seriously, I work in DV and DV only, so this was new to me, and I've only done it once. I did Pro Res because someone suggested it. I don't remember exactly how I set it, but here's a grab of where you can find that codec, after choosing to export Quicktime:

    20091016-1ucutjn1wntmmqukmdx6xgyha3.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • BenA2BenA2 Major grins Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    I spend all day editing for a living, but don't ask me to explain codecs!!! lol3.gif

    Seriously, I work in DV and DV only, so this was new to me, and I've only done it once. I did Pro Res because someone suggested it. I don't remember exactly how I set it, but here's a grab of where you can find that codec, after choosing to export Quicktime:
    Interesting. Apparently, ProRes isn't an option in the Windows version. Thanks for the info.
  • BenA2BenA2 Major grins Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    BenA2 wrote:
    Interesting. Apparently, ProRes isn't an option in the Windows version. Thanks for the info.
    In case any PC folks out there were following this thread looking for the answers for which I was searching, here's what I learned.

    I was successful using MPEG Streamclip to transcode my 7D .MOV files to Motion JPG AVIs and editing them in Vegas 9 Platinum. The problem with the Motion JPGs is that they're lossy, due to compression and conversion to 8-bit. The Apple folks are fortunate to be able to use the ProRes codec for a lossless intermediate editing codec.

    So, to find a higher-quality solution, I finally looked into the costly alternative of Cineform Neo Scene. Neo Scene transcodes 5D/7D .MOV files into lossless 10-bit H.264 AVI files. I've had zero problems editing these files in Vegas and they are far more tolerant of color correction than motion JPEGs. It cost me $129 to get Neo Scene--more than I paid for Vegas! But, in the end I'm happy with it to get the most out of those beautiful 7D files on a PC. From what I've read, Neo Scene is also the solution for Adobe Premiere on the PC.

    In my research, some folks were suggesting Pinacle as an editor that will work with the 5D/7D files natively on the PC. But, I was already invested, in both money, learning curve, and existing projects, in Vegas, so I didn't investigate Pinacle. If you're starting from scratch in DSLR HD video on the PC, you might check that out before going the Neo Scene to Vegas/Premiere route.

    By the way, I didn't learn this all on my own. Cinema5D is a great resource for DSLR HD filmaking knowledge.
  • waygard33waygard33 [email protected] Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    BenA2 wrote:
    ...
    In my research, some folks were suggesting Pinacle as an editor that will work with the 5D/7D files natively on the PC. But, I was already invested, in both money, learning curve, and existing projects, in Vegas, so I didn't investigate Pinacle. If you're starting from scratch in DSLR HD video on the PC, you might check that out before going the Neo Scene to Vegas/Premiere route...

    Just confirming the use of Pinnacle with the .Mov files. I have version 14 and my 7D videos run just fine.

    Wayne G
Sign In or Register to comment.